Healthy people, healthy planet
The Gillings School's Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering focuses on the interface between people and the environment. Uniquely situated in a school of public health, our interdisciplinary programs in air quality and atmospheric processes, human exposure and health effects, and sustainable water resources draw from faculty expertise in the physical and life sciences, engineering and policy.
- Characterizing exposures to contaminants in air, water, soil and workplaces
- Developing engineering and policy solutions to environmental risks
- Using molecular approaches to understanding diseases caused by toxic substances in the environment
- Overcoming environmental health challenges in developing countries
The official kick-off begins fall 2020. Our centennial celebration will be April 10, 2021.
Message from the Chair
"We are the nation's first Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering in a school of public health, and the Gillings School is the top public school of public health in the United States. Our graduates are innovative problem-solvers who are particularly well-prepared to design and implement effective environmental health solutions..."Read more from Dr. Turpin.
Master of Science in Environmental Engineering (MSEE)
Environmental Health Solutions Concentration
Global Health Concentration
Environmental Sciences and Engineering Events
- Cook Ross Everyday Bias Training January 10, 2020 @ 9:00 am - 11:00 am
- Introduction to Qualtrics January 14, 2020 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Academic Publishing 101: From Idea to Article….and Beyond January 17, 2020 @ 9:00 am - 3:30 pm