At the Gillings School, we are impatient for change that improves public health. Our research strengths focus on urgent challenges to generate tomorrow’s solutions today. Our researchers provide teaching and training opportunities for students while catalyzing a collaborative, creative environment for the world’s top scientists to discover, test and implement solutions to health threats and problems.
Research at Gillings
In research dollars since 2016
($192M in FY 2021)
Top Public School of Public Health for NIH funding
Conduct research, education and/or practice in all 100 counties in N.C., 47 countries and 5 continents
Our strategic investment priorities for research are:
- Health Equity
- Air, Water and Climate Resilience
- Infectious Diseases and Pandemics
- Chronic Diseases, particularly Cancer, Cardiovascular and Cardiometabolic Diseases
- Machine Learning, Systems Data Science, and Precision Health
- Implementation and Improvement Science, Evaluation and Practice
Message from the Associate Dean for Research
"UNC Gillings researchers are leaders in innovative, interdisciplinary and transformative research. They make trailblazing discoveries and implement novel strategies to address major public health challenges, thereby improving the quality of people’s lives throughout North Carolina, across the United States and around the globe."Read more about Dr. Olshan.