Gillings School Job Postings
Information on Email Scams
Recently, the Information Security Office has been alerted to an uptick in attempts to gather personal information from students via fake job offers purporting to be from research employment opportunities.
Here are some tips to help you sort out whether a job offer solicited via email is legitimate or not (here’s a clue: they’re usually not).
- The employer contacted you and you never contacted them.
- The pay offered is above average for the position.
- Online interviews are conducted via instant messaging services.
- You are asked to provide confidential information either via email or the creation of an account online.
- Payment is required to participate in the hiring process.
- There is a sense of urgency or a time requirement for immediate action on your part.
- It just feels “off.”
If you receive suspicious e-mails like this, please alert the service desk via 919-962-HELP or help.unc.edu before taking any other actions.
|Title:||Location:||Start:||End:||Hours/Week:||Salary/Stipend:||Application Deadline:||How to Apply:||Roles/Responsibilities:||Qualifications/Education Requirements:|
|Research Assistant - NC Policy Collaboratory||Carrboro, NC||Mid August 2020||Mid August 2021||20 hrs/wk||$1962.50 per month and tuition, fees, and health insurance||07/17/20 at 5 p.m.||Email CV/resume and a brief statement about what you hope to gain from this opportunity to Steve Wall, Outreach Director, firstname.lastname@example.org or call (919) 445-0240.||The NC Policy Collaboratory was established for the purposes of facilitating the dissemination of the policy and research expertise of the UNC system for practical use by state and local government. Currently the Collaboratory is supporting numerous academic projects here at UNC and across the UNC System, including COVID-19 research, a multi-year study of water quality in Jordan and Falls Lake, assessing PFAS/emerging contaminants across the state, and development of a comprehensive flood resiliency study. More information can be found at: https://collaboratory.unc.edu/ The Collaboratory research assistant will: Read more.|
• Conduct science policy research in support of ongoing projects;
• Coordinate research team efforts;
• Review draft and final reports and prepare written briefings for online publication or distribution to policymakers; and
• Assist Collaboratory staff with their management duties (budgeting, accounting, data management, outreach, communications).
|Open to all graduate students who will be enrolled during the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters.|
|Statistical Consultant - Part Time||Odum Institute - Chapel Hill, NC||TBD||TBD||4.5 to 9 hrs/wk||$15.75/hr||7/24/20||For more information, please contact Managing Director Rocky Riviella, email@example.com.||The consultant will be part of a team of advanced graduate students who staff the Odum Institute statistical consulting “desk,” now a virtual service. The students are on call to answer statistical and programming questions, including questions regarding R, Stata, and SAS.||Any current graduate student with skills in statistics and at least one statistical software package is welcome to apply.|