Looking for help with your research?
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is committed to expanding and disseminating knowledge for the benefit of the people of North Carolina and the world. An important part of that commitment to knowledge is research of the highest ethical standards.
This section provides information on trainings researchers are expected to complete. Please follow the links below to the relevant webpages:
This section provides links to university-wide research support units available to UNC faculty and students.
- Office of Sponsored Research (OSR)
- Go-To Information Sheet
- Office of Human Research Ethics (IRB)
- Research Information Systems Help (ORIS)
- Centers and Institutes (UNC) (Gillings School)
- North Carolina Translational and Clinical Sciences Institute (NC TraCS)
- Subscribe to the NC TraCS newsletter to get their latest news and events
- Core Facilities
- All Units
Did you know that principal investigators, faculty, staff, students, and departmental contacts are not authorized to sign agreements?
- Contracts Office
- Office of Clinical Trials (OCT)
- Who Can and Can’t Sign (Signature Delegation Chart)
- Still not sure? Contact email@example.com.
Unsure about the difference between gifts, grants, and contracts? This section provides University guidance and policies regarding gifts, sponsored projects, and grants.
- For information on research as a “gift” or a “sponsored project,” please see the University’s policy and the University’s guidance on these topics.
- Gillings School Guiding Principles for Considering Gift and Grant Agreements with Companies (approved June, 2017).
Want help with your Specific Aims for proposals?
- The Gillings Research Solutions unit offers scientific review of Specific Aims for proposal to any major granting agency on a regular cycle. Sign-up for a Gilling School Study Section.
Looking for supplemental research funding?
- Research supplements for select NIH grants for underrepresented minorities and for individuals reentering the academic workforce. Interested students and postdocs can submit requests for consideration.
In this section, we provide resources to help you prepare a variety of funding proposals. The resources provide general language that describes the research environment at UNC and Gillings, including research resources, diversity initiatives, and general information about the university. Modify these to fit the needs of your specific proposal.
- Gillings School Facts and Figures
- UNC Facts and Rankings
- Boilerplate – Gillings School and UNC Research Overview (updated August 2018)
- Boilerplate – Animal Facilities (updated October 2018)
- Boilerplate – Computing Resources (updated October 2018)
- Boilerplate – Library Facilities (updated October 2018)
- Boilerplate – Laboratory Facilities (updated October 2018)
- Didn’t find what you needed? The Research, Innovation and Global Solutions stores boilerplates from around UNC. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This section provides information from the University on technology commercialization and intellectual property.
- Office of Technology Commercialization (OTC)
- Still not sure? Email email@example.com.
In this section, you will find global and local research resources across the University.
- Global Travel Toolkit
- UNC Policy on Export Controls
- North Carolina Institute for Public Health Programs and Services
- Community Stakeholder Engagement (NC TraCS)
This sections provides links to specific Gillings School policies.
- NC TraCS $50K Pilot Award Matching Funds Policy for Gillings School
- Policy on Accepting Funds from Tobacco Companies
- Foreign Influence
- Conflict of Interest
- Policy on External Professional Activities for Pay (EPAP), aka “consulting”
- International travel requirements and resources
- UNC Policy on Export Controls