Healthier families worldwide
The Gillings School's Department of Maternal and Child Health was founded in 1950 and is one of the world’s leading academic departments for research, teaching and practice. We are dedicated to improving the health of women, children and families — domestically and globally. Our teaching program provides students with broad exposure to maternal and child health population needs and priorities, as well as with the skills to become leaders of tomorrow. Our faculty members represent a rich mix of academic backgrounds and interests and contribute their expertise and leadership in a wide range of disciplines. We invite you to join us as we embark upon an exciting new year of scholarship, leadership and service.
At the Gillings School, we’re dedicated to improving the health of women, children and families – in North Carolina and around the world.
Our maternal and child health department was founded in 1950 and is one of the world’s leading academic departments for research, teaching and practice.
Our research strengths include:
- Developing a strong evidence base to improve health policies, programs and practices for women and children — locally and globally;
- Working in interdisciplinary teams to develop innovative solutions for addressing health disparities among women and children;
- Using implementation science to support the success of proven women’s and children’s interventions at scale; and
- Using quantitative and qualitative methods to improve the health of women, children and families across North Carolina, the nation and the world.
Message from the Chair
"We promote population health locally and globally by improving the health of women, children, youth and families through sustained excellence in research; program and policy development, implementation and evaluation; and the education of current and future maternal and child health leaders and advocates."Read more from Dr. Halpern.
Explore our Department
News and Events
Maternal, Child and Family Health Concentration
Maternal and Child Health Events
- UNC Center of Excellence Leadership Panel: Leadership in Times of Uncertainty April 21 @ 11:00 am - 12:15 pm
- Inclusive Classrooms Annual Symposium: Understanding and Addressing Structural Racism June 8 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Cognitive Interviewing: A Hands-On Approach September 4 @ 9:00 am - 4:30 pm