The Department of Maternal and Child Health Inclusive Excellence – Belonging and Engagement Committee (IE-BE) plans to facilitate learning more about each other and enhancing our engagement through the academic year with the goal of supporting diversity, equity and inclusion for all.
At the start of the academic year the Committee hosted a listening session for MCH-affiliated students, faculty, and staff. Bi-monthly brown bag lunch reflection discussions are also planned with rotating faculty or student hosts.
IE-BE is led by Claudia Fernandez, DrPH, Interim Associate Chair for Inclusive Excellence, and a team of students, faculty and staff. It is the product of a series of efforts to support diversity, equity and inclusion in the School and the MCH department.
The 2019 Gillings School Inclusive Excellence (IE) Action Plan and Inclusive Excellence Council included representatives from all units in the school. In conjunction with the Council, each department in the School began efforts to meet and enhance inclusive excellence goals and activities. The MCH department created an MCH diversity, equity, and inclusion work group in 2020. The work group included three subcommittees focused on curriculum, faculty and staff training, and diversity and support – key aspects of the School’s IE action plan. Subsequently, upon a recommendation from the 2022 MCH Culture of Equity Report, the department consolidated them into a single working group, now called the Inclusive Excellence – Belonging and Engagement Committee.
Belonging and Engagement Committee
MCH Inclusive Excellence
Belonging and Engagement
Communications Outreach Board—installed and initiated August 25, 2023
New IE-BE bulletin board, serving as a central onsite communications hub supporting IE activities:
- Announcement of Trainings, Ways to become involved,
- Student spotlight—get to know a 1st year and a 2nd year (new students each week).
Reflection & Connection: Bi-weekly IE/BE Reflection Brown-bag Lunch Discussion Groups
- Twice monthly: BE the Change: IE/BE Reflection discussion (a brown bag, open invitation lunch, rotating faculty-led or student-led discussion). Student selected reflection topic from vetted list developed in Clinical Scholars.
- October 10 (Affirmative Action, hosted by Mia Goodson)
- October 24 (Immigrant Health, hosted by Claudia Fernandez)
- November 7 (LGBTQ Health-Marriage Protection Act, hosted by Mia Goodson)
- December 5 (TBA, hosted by Leslie deRosset)
- January 23 (TBA, hosted by Mia Goodson)
- February 6 (TBA, hosted by Claudia Fernandez)
- February 20 (TBA, hosted by Mia Goodson or other student volunteer)
- March 5 (TBA, hosted by TBI Faculty/Staff)
- March 19 (TBA, hosted by Mia Goodson or other student volunteer)
- April 2 (TBA, hosted by Claudia Fernandez)
Student listening Sessions:
- September 6 – empanadas on the patio
- October 26 – campfire s’mores on the patio
Skills Development Outreach Sessions (Trainings)
- UPSTANDER: Skills for being an allay, advocate, building an alliance and serving as a co-conspirator: 2-hour workshop, September 29, 2:00-4:00 pm MGC 1301.