The right food for all
The Gillings School's Department of Nutrition is a global leader in research and training. We are the only nutrition department in the United States situated in both a school of public health and a school of medicine. We engage in innovative work that capitalizes on both these schools’ approaches to health, and thus our department has an unusual breadth of scientific and policy approaches. Our faculty expertise spans from cell to society and moves from discovery to delivery. Our faculty and students work throughout North Carolina and reach populations in China, India, Malawi, Spain and the Philippines, to name a few.
Message from the Chair
"We live in a time in which nutrition is a pivotal factor in changing the trajectory of public health around the globe."Read more from Dr. Mayer-Davis.
To improve and protect the public’s health through teaching, research and practices that foster optimal nutrition.
To achieve optimal nutrition for all people around the globe.
Statement on Inclusive Excellence:
The students, faculty, and staff of the Department of Nutrition are committed to nurturing an environment of inclusion and equity. We actively value diversity of perspectives and backgrounds, support the success of all members of our community, and affirm that we are strongest when we celebrate diversity in all its forms. It is only through this commitment that we achieve our mission – to improve and protect the public’s health through teaching, research, and practices that foster optimal nutrition for all around the globe.
Interested in becoming a nutrition student?
- Look into our programs.
- Learn more about our research strengths.
- Fill out a Prospective Student Inquiry Form.
What are we talking about lately?
- Silent Sam Settlement – Department Perspective
- Dean’s Response to Recent Incidents
- A statement on the New Zealand Mosque Shootings
- Department Response to Student Letter
- Nutrition Student Letter Against Silent Sam Proposal
- A statement on the Recommendation for the Disposition and Preservation of the Confederate Monument (PDF)
- A statement on the October 2018 Pittsburgh Shooting (PDF)
- A statement on Silent Sam from the chairs of the Gillings School (PDF)
- A statement on Silent Sam from Department of Nutrition leadership (PDF)
- A statement on Charlottesville from the UNC Faculty Executive Committee (PDF)
- Statements on immigration and House Bill 2 from the Department of Nutrition chair (PDF)
Explore our department:
MPH / Registered Dietitian Program
Practice and Continuing Education
Renal Nutrition Training Program
American Body Composition Calculator
- I Am Because We Are: Interrelated Realities January 22 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Mental Health First Aid Training January 24 @ 8:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Connect, Engage, Transform: Rural Community Partnerships January 24 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm