Gillings School Syllabus
It’s often the first contact that students have with the instructor and the course, so it’s important to set the right tone and expectations. Instructors should strive to develop syllabi that are both an effective map of the course’s content and logistics, and an invitation for students to actively engage in the learning process.
(Adapted from the Undergraduate Curricula webpage.)
Statements to include on syllabus
Community Standards in Our Course and Mask Use
This fall semester, while we are in the midst of a global pandemic, all enrolled students are required to wear a mask covering your mouth and nose at all times in our classroom. This requirement is to protect our educational community — your classmates and me – as we learn together. If you choose not to wear a mask, or wear it improperly, I will ask you to leave immediately, and I will submit a report to the Office of Student Conduct. At that point you will be disenrolled from this course for the protection of our educational community. An exemption to the mask wearing community standard will not typically be considered to be a reasonable accommodation. Individuals with a disability or health condition that prevents them from safely wearing a face mask must seek alternative accommodations through the Accessibility Resources and Service. For additional information, see Carolina Together.
Title IX Resources
Any student who is impacted by discrimination, harassment, interpersonal (relationship) violence, sexual violence, sexual exploitation, or stalking is encouraged to seek resources on campus or in the community. Please contact the Director of Title IX Compliance (Adrienne Allison – Adrienne.email@example.com), Report and Response Coordinators in the Equal Opportunity and Compliance Office (firstname.lastname@example.org), Counseling and Psychological Services (confidential), or the Gender Violence Services Coordinators (email@example.com; confidential) to discuss your specific needs. Additional resources are available at safe.unc.edu.
Important information re: final exam schedule
The final exam schedule has not been posted by the Registrar. We may have to start the semester without a confirmed schedule. Please include the final assessment method on your syllabus, with the date/time listed as TBA. The syllabus should be made available to students by the first day of classes. When the final exam schedule is published on the Registrar’s website, please update your syllabus and share it with your students.
Current templates do not include statements shown above.
- For Gillings School residential courses (.doc)
- For MPH@UNC courses (.doc)
- Syllabus template Guide (.doc)
- Instructional faculty should try to make their syllabi available before the start of the semester.
- Instructional faculty are strongly encouraged to use syllabus template #2 (.doc) for Gillings residential or MPH@UNC
- Instructional faculty are not required to use the forthcoming 3.0 syllabus template immediately.
- APC are working toward establishing an annual cycle for syllabus template updates.
Gillings School language may be more specific to our school than the language presented at the links below, e.g., diversity statements. Please contact Aleta Gaertner if you have questions.
- Syllabus guidelines from the Graduate School for courses numbered above 700
- Syllabus guidelines from the Office of Undergraduate Curricula with sample language for courses numbered through 699
- Syllabus text (optional) for setting student expectations
- Syllabus resources to audit for inclusive excellence:
Use your onyen and password to sign in for access.