Gillings School of Global Public Health Forms and Policies
Applying for a Core Core Exemption
Students may apply for exemption from SPHG 600, SPHG 711, and/or SPHG 712. Students must demonstrate in the application that they have achieved the learning objectives and competencies covered in the required core course through other coursework completed in the past five years. Examples may include coursework completed at another university, through a different degree program, or not on the list of approved substitutes. In rare circumstances, coursework completed more than five years ago may be considered in combination with demonstration of competencies through professional work experience.
Students who can provide documentation to their student records of any of the following may exempt from SPHG 600:
- successful completion of the Gillings School’s Public Health Leadership Program’s Certificate in Public Health Core Concepts, within five years of matriculating into the degree program; or
- a public health undergraduate or graduate “titled” degree from a CEPH-accredited school or a CEPH-accredited program (no time limit); or
- a non-public health “titled” degree (e.g., MS, MHA) from a CEPH-accredited school within five years of matriculating into the degree program; or
- CPH certification from the National Board of Public Health Examiners.
An exemption means the student is exempt from the required course but must still fulfill the associated credit hour requirements. In order to maintain the integrity of the Gillings School degree program plan of study, the totality of exemptions and substitutions for each student may not exceed the Graduate School’s policy that limits the transfer of credits.
It is important to note that an exemption does not reduce the number of credit hours required for your degree. Rather, receiving an exemption generally provides a student with more flexibility to take electives. Students may explore the possibility of transferring in credits to their degree by talking with their Academic Coordinator. More information regarding transferring course credit is available in the Graduate School Handbook.
Core Course Exemption Forms (Download and save to your computer before filling out)
- Declaration of minor (BSPH)
- Guidelines for declaring a second major in another School or College at UNC Chapel Hill (BSPH)
- Petition for an additional semester
- Auditing a course (Graduate Students)
- Course overload form (BSPH)
- Course underload form (BSPH)
- Dropping a course
- Exam excuse/delay form
- Withdrawal Information for SPH Graduate Students
UNC-Chapel Hill Policies and Information
- World AIDS Day November 25 @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Intersectional Stigma and Health Outcomes with Global LGBTQ Populations December 2 @ 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm
- Zoom Lunch & Learn Workshop December 4 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm