Notes on Room Reservations
- Room reservation requests are only available for Gillings School students, faculty and staff at this time.
- Room reservation requests can take up to 48 hours to approve. Please submit your request in advance as far as possible. In most cases, same-day requests may not be accepted.
- Room reservation requests are not confirmed until you receive an email confirmation.
- Department conference rooms must be confirmed via the appropriate department.
- Reservation requests are not processed during the winter break.
- Gillings Guidelines for Gatherings through Spring 2023 (PDF)
- Review the Gillings School Guidelines (PDF) for reserving rooms and utilizing event spaces in the school.
- Recommended Rooms for Dissertation Defense: Click To Read MoreIt is preferred for students to present dissertation defenses in rooms that have:
Steerable Instructor camera
Podium microphone and wireless clip-on microphone
Audience CameraOur top room recommendations for defenses would be:
Rosenau 230 (Mayes Center)
McGavran Greenberg 2301
McGavran Greenberg 2306
McGavran Greenberg 2308If the above listed rooms are not available the following are recommended:
McGavran Greenberg 1301
McGavran Greenberg 1304
McGavran Greenberg 1305It is also recommended to avoid using the conference rooms for dissertation defenses. The camera angle and ceiling microphones in these rooms are not well suited for that presentation type.
How to Reserve Spaces at the Gillings School
Reservations are made through your Outlook Calendar. Gillings students, staff and faculty: if you are new to scheduling in Outlook or a Mac user, please review how to use the Scheduling Assistant and Room Finder.
To find a list of available rooms at Gillings for your preferred meeting day/time, open Outlook and follow the instructions below:
1. Select “New Meeting”
2. Select “Room Finder”
3. Type “SPH” into the “Building” field to display a category list of centrally managed Gillings rooms and spaces (SPH_Classrooms, SPH_Conference Rooms, SPH_Event Spaces, SPH_Hoteling Spaces, SPH_Remote Conferencing Spaces). Choose the desired category to view a list of available locations. If none are listed, there are no rooms/spaces available at that requested time. Please select a different day/time or a different room/space.
4. Finish entering Meeting details and click “Send”
After Step 4, you should receive an email stating that your room reservation is now tentative. A follow-up email will confirm if your room request was Accepted or Denied.
Our Centrally-Managed Classrooms
Our Support Staff
The following classroom spaces — located in the Michael Hooker Research Center, Rosenau Hall and McGavran-Greenberg Hall — are managed centrally through a collaboration of the following Gillings support staff:
- Office of Student Affairs (OSA): email@example.com
- Instructional Media Services (IMS): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facilities: email@example.com
Course Scheduling Requests
Course Change Request Form
The Office of Student Affairs will use a Course Scheduling process to strategically assign classrooms each semester, you may review the Course Scheduling Timeline if needed. Instructors may request a classroom change if the room assigned for their course does not accommodate their class size or technology needs. The Office of Student Affairs cannot guarantee the request can be processed, as this depends on room availability. Change requests submitted after semester deadlines may not be processed due to the lack of room availability and will only be considered for students with ARS challenges.
Please contact the Office of Student Affairs if you have any additional questions at (919) 966-2499.