About Us

The Facilities Office in the Gillings School of Global Public Health oversees the maintenance of buildings and rooms, construction and renovation projects, space planning, facilities-based event planning and emergency/disaster preparedness.

For questions about any of our services, please contact the Facilities Office staff.

Our Services
Building Access

Enrolled students can access Gillings School buildings by using their One Card between the hours of 7:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 7:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.

Students who need access outside of these hours must submit a request to their student services manager. Faculty and staff should request access through their Gillings HR representative.

For add
itional questions about building access, contact Julie McManus. Please provide full name, department, PID and specific building access needs.

If you are hosting an event and need to have the building or specific rooms unlocked, please contact the Facilities Office as soon as possible.

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (the “University” or “UNC”) is committed to providing equal access to its classrooms, research facilities, public spaces, and housing for all of its community members, including students, employees, and visitors. The University recognizes the importance of Assistance Animals for individuals with disabilities; in accordance with applicable federal and state law, individuals with disabilities may be accompanied by their Service Animals on all UNC premises where members of the public or participants in services, programs, or activities are allowed to go.

Pets are not allowed inside campus buildings. Anyone who wants to bring an Assistance Animal inside campus buildings should contact Accessibility Resources & Service (ARS) or Equal Opportunity and Compliance (EOC).

Bulletin Boards

Bulletin boards are the only approved locations to post fliers. Please refrain from posting on glass, painted surfaces, doors and bathroom stalls. If you would like to post a flier on a bulletin board, please contact the Office of Student Affairs for assistance.

Day Lockers

Day lockers are available for daytime use and are located on the second floor of Rosenau Hall, to the left of the main elevators. Day lockers are emptied each night and items are taken to the Lost and Found in 204 Rosenau Hall.

Housekeeping Services

Housekeeping Services provides routine and emergency cleaning services to common areas. Vacuuming and dusting inside offices can be done upon request. Daily office trash, especially trash containing food or food containers/wrappers, should be disposed of in hallway trash locations for Housekeeping to pick up. To view the nightly service schedule, see the Gillings Housekeeping Detail Schedule.

Lost and Found

Items turned in to the Facilities Office are stored in 204 Rosenau Hall. Please report lost items to the Facilities Office so you can be contacted if they are found.

Mail Services

UNC Mail Services delivers and picks up Campus Mail and USPS mail twice a day to the mailroom on the first floor, located in 1101 Michael Hooker Research Center, where mail is sorted into departmental mailboxes. The Gillings School courier run begins at 2:30 p.m. every day. Special requests regarding mail delivery or Cashier deposits should be communicated to the Facilities Office as soon as possible.


Please report any HVAC, plumbing, electrical, elevator, pest, housekeeping and repair issues by contacting sph_facilities@unc.edu or (919) 843-7872. Please note the following information: building, room number, location within the room and detailed description of the problem.

Mothers' Room

The Mothers’ Room is located in 227A Rosenau Hall. To request use of the room, please fill out the request form.

Baby changing stations are located in the restrooms on the ground floor of Rosenau Hall and in the restrooms on the ground and first floors of Michael Hooker Research Center.

Move Management

Moving assistance is provided by Housekeeping Services. To prepare for a move, please empty all cabinets and drawers of any furniture to be moved.

Quiet Room

Located in room 016 on the ground floor of Rosenau Hall, the quiet room is open to all Gillings students, staff and faculty. It is intended to be a multipurpose space for meditation, yoga, prayer, reading quietly, power naps and a safe place to find relief from the normal daily stress and over-stimulation we all face. The room is not intended to be used for attending a virtual class session.

The Quiet Room can be reserved using the digital reservation panel outside the room. Reservations should be limited to 30 minutes per person. The Gillings Quiet Room is open between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday.


Indoor and outdoor recycling is managed by UNC Facilities Services’ Office of Waste Reduction and Recycling (OWRR). They provide additional services such as confidential paper pick-up, temporary bins for large office clean-outs, and Green Events training.

The Gillings School is serviced on Tuesday each week. View your building’s bin locations and pick-up schedule.

Please help keep hallways safe and clean by requesting pick-ups and neatly placing all items to be removed at designated recycling and trash removal locations.

  • Battery Recycling: The battery recycling buckets are located in the Facilities Office in 204 Rosenau Hall and 1101 Michael Hooker Research Center.
  • Cardboard Recycling: Corrugated cardboard should be flattened completely and can then be placed by trash cans for removal by Housekeeping Services. It also can be taken directly to the blue cardboard dumpster or compactor on Dauer Drive.
  • Shredded Paper: Shredded paper must be bagged in clear bags and can be placed at any recycling site for pick-up.
  • Toner and Ink Cartridges: For easy storage, keep the toner cartridge box. When a cartridge is finished, place it in the box. Toner and ink cartridges can be sent to Central Receiving, CB#1130 to be recycled.
Additional information can be found on OWRR's What Can I Recycle? page.


For renovations and space planning, please contact Brent Wishart.

Shower Facilities

We have three shower facilities on the ground floor of Rosenau Hall that are first-come, first-serve. Please be considerate of others who may use the shower facilities and report any problems to the Facilities Office.


Building Room Signage: Please contact Julie McManus for updates.

Suite/Glass Door Signage: Style guidelines are in place to ensure uniformity. Work requests can be placed directly with UNC Facilities Services.

Space Use

Rooms can be reserved by submitting a request in advance and confirmed by email. Reservations must be approved and are not finalized unless a confirmation email has been received.

If you plan to serve food or refreshments, you will be responsible for the set-up and clean-up of the space. If the room set-up is rearranged for your event, please restore it to its original condition before leaving.

Please refer to our Facilities Use Guidelines for more information.

Personal office space use is largely up to each individual or the individuals sharing the space. We are responsible for keeping our own personal workspaces clean. Open food or beverages should not be left overnight and any spills that need more than minor cleaning should be reported as soon as possible to sph_facilities@unc.edu or to (919) 843-7872.

Students and employees who ride bikes should use the bike racks outside the building. Bikes inside the building are a violation of Traffic and Parking Ordinance, Sec. 3-19.

Table and Chair Requests

To request tables and chairs for an event, please contact the Facilities Office at least one week before the event is scheduled and share how many tables/chairs/tablecloths you will need, along with the event location and a layout description, if needed.


The walkstation will be available soon. It can be reserved using the touchscreens outside the room or via Outlook calendar request.

Water Bottle Filling Stations

Water bottle filler stations locations include:
Rosenau Hall, first, second, third, and fourth floors
McGavran-Greenberg Hall, first, second, and third floors
Michael Hooker Research Center, first, second, and third floors

Vending Machines

Drink machines are located in each of our buildings. In Rosenau Hall and McGavran-Greenberg Hall, they are located on the 2nd floor. One is located in Michael Hooker Research Center on the ground floor along with a snack vending machine. To report problems with the vending machines, please email sph_facilities@unc.edu or call the number on the machine.

Facilities Use Guidelines: Meetings and Events

Gillings School student, faculty and staff groups may request use of Gillings School shared central spaces for meetings and events.

The following guidelines govern the use of classrooms, conference rooms, auditoriums, atrium and courtyard spaces in Rosenau Hall, McGavran-Greenberg Hall and Michael Hooker Research Center. For a detailed description of meeting and event space, our Rooms and Reservations page provides an overview of each space and information on available resources.

Gillings Facilities Use Guidelines (PDF)

For questions about the guidelines or an event planning consultation, contact the Gillings Facilities Office staff.

Green Events

Are you interested in hosting a Green Event?

UNC’s Office of Waste Reduction and Recycling provides Green Event Coordinator Training and support when hosting a certified green event.

Five Keys To a Great Green Event is a great resource to refer to at the beginning stages of planning an event.


The doors of Rosenau Hall welcome new and returning students.

Several entrances around the School provide valuable information about hours and security.

The Gillings School security guard is on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and is stationed in the upper Armfield Atrium within Michael Hooker Research Center.

If you are in the building after hours, contact the guard at (919) 357-8037 for assistance.

For emergencies, call 911. Provide as much detail as possible and report following the ALERT acronym:

A – ctivity (physical descriptors of who you saw and a brief description of their activity)
L – ocation
E – quipment (for example: vehicle make, model and color; license plate number; binoculars; video camera; unattended package/baggage)
R – ecognize (the difference between normal and abnormal behavior)
T– ime (date, time, duration and frequency of activity)

Contact Us

Brent Wishart
Senior Director of Facilities
203 Rosenau Hall
CB #7400
(919) 843-8101

  • Facilities management and planning
  • Capital projects
  • Space committee
  • Security and building access
  • Chair, All-Hazards Preparedness Committee

Julie McManus
Facilities Coordinator
204 Rosenau Hall
CB #7400
(919) 843-7872

  • Building maintenance and repair
  • One Card access requests
  • Event planning
  • Emergency coordinator program
  • Parking coordinator
  • Building signage

David KingDavid King
Facilities Assistant
204 Rosenau Hall
CB #7400
(919) 685-7814

  • Inter-campus mail delivery
  • Courier service
  • Event support
  • Classroom oversight
(919) 843-7872

135 Dauer Drive
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7400