Mission and Values
We are committed to remain the leading public school of public health in the United States.
For more than 80 years our school has been committed to groundbreaking research, exceptional teaching and dedicated service to people across North Carolina, the United States and around the world.
Our mission is to improve public health, promote individual well-being and eliminate health inequities across North Carolina and around the world.
We bring about sustainable, positive changes in health by providing an outstanding program of collaborative teaching, research and service. We build, support and sustain a diverse, equitable and inclusive anti-racist community, well-prepared to address 21st-century health inequities as we:
- Educate the next generation of public health leaders;
- Discover, test, disseminate and implement solutions to health threats and problems;
- Translate research into effective practices and sound policies; and
- Serve North Carolina and beyond through outreach, engagement, education of citizens and health professionals and application of solutions to health threats and problems.
Our work is guided by strongly held values.
- We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion among our faculty, staff and students.
- We believe that the Gillings School is accountable and responsible to communities and should work collaboratively with them.
- We believe that all people should be treated with civility, dignity and respect.
- We are committed to high standards of excellence, professional ethics and personal integrity in all that we do.
- We are committed to being anti-racist in all that we do, disrupting discrimination and oppression whenever they appear.
- Students are the foundation for the school. We are committed to a student-centered environment that gives students an unsurpassed educational experience with accessible, top-quality faculty and staff.
- Our faculty, staff, alumni and students are known for their leadership and dynamism as problem solvers and their passion and enthusiasm for helping people live healthier lives.
- Our experience tells us that most public health solutions require interdisciplinary inquiry, broad partnerships and public engagement for constructive action.
- At the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health, we believe we can make a world of difference, and we live that every day.