Public Health Undergraduate Majors
Gillings School of Global Public Health.
Thank you for your interest in our undergraduate programs. Please consider attending the Undergraduate Open House to learn more information about applying to Gillings School.
The Bachelor of Science in Public Health (BSPH) degree includes majors in the following areas: biostatistics, environmental health sciences, health policy and management and nutrition.
Undergraduates at UNC-Chapel Hill will typically apply to the majors of their choice during the fall or spring of their sophomore year. In addition, all majors require that students meet certain prerequisites prior to applying. These prerequisites, along with other course-specific details, can be found in the UNC-Chapel Hill Undergraduate Bulletin. We encourage students to meet with their adviser and contact their department prior to applying.
View the recent Gillings School Undergraduate Information Session webinar on YouTube.
Application Deadlines and How to Apply
Prospective students who apply from high school, UNC or from other institutions follow different deadlines and application instructions.
Application Deadline: January 11, 2022, for Fall 2022 entry
The first step is to "Apply for Major/Minor Change" in ConnectCarolina, which is available from the "other academic..." dropdown menu, located under the Academics section of the Student Center tab (SelfService > Student Center). Once you select the "Apply for Major/Minor Change" option from the dropdown menu, click on the double arrow to go to the Apply for Major/Minor Change page. You will then select the BSPH major that you wish to apply for from the "Major/Minor" dropdown menu. You can click "Dept. URL" button to display a link to department website. Once you have made your selection from the "Major/Minor" dropdown menu, you will need to select fall semester and year from the "Term" dropdown menu. When the student is ready to submit their request, they will need to click the "I Agree" checkbox in order for the "Submit Request" button to become available.
You will receive an email the next business day with a link to start the BSPH application. As a result, you cannot submit a major change form on the due date of the application, as the email with the application link does not get sent until the next business day. Please pay close attention to application deadlines to ensure that you can complete and submit the application on time.
Current UNC students are eligible to apply to a Bachelor of Science in Public Health (BSPH) degree program after completion of department-specific BSPH major prerequisites and most General College requirements. Students are eligible for admission after completing 52-60 credit hours of coursework or by examination/advanced placement credit. UNC students typically apply to the Gillings School of Global Public Health in the second semester of their sophomore year of study for fall admission the following academic year (since our majors are junior entry). You may apply to more than one major; however you will need to complete and submit separate applications to each major (so you will need to start the process again with “Apply for Major/Minor Change" in order to apply to the 2nd public health major, as you will receive another separate email with the link to that application the next business day).
Application Deadline: October 15th/UNC First-Year Early Action
- Review our Assured Enrollment Option Information for each of our 4 majors
- Application for admission on the Common Application or Coalition Application website
- Brief survey in the UNC supplement to indicate your interest in up to three Excel@Carolina opportunities. Please note that interest in these programs have no bearing on your admission decision, and the completion of this survey is not required for admission.
Application Deadline: February 15th/UNC Transfer
To apply for admission, follow these steps:
- Go to the Common Application to create an account and start your application.
- Submit the Common Application, the Common Application supplement, and application fee by the deadline above.
- Upload the statement of purpose requested in your Common Application supplement.
- Submit official transcripts from all high schools, colleges, and universities attended to:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Jackson Hall, Campus Box 2200
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-2200
- Arrange to have two letters of recommendation – professional or academic – written on your behalf sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After you submit your application, you will receive instructions for creating your MyCarolina account, which will allow you to view the status of your application, including your admission decision. Be sure to check your MyCarolina account frequently for important application updates.
The Biostatistics BSPH prepares students for entry-level professional statistical and programming careers, and provides a firm academic base for subsequent studies in biostatistics, medicine and other fields.
Environmental Health Sciences
The Environmental Health Sciences BSPH provides students with a fundamental grounding in the basic and applied sciences for advanced scientific education, professional schools or careers in practice in the field of public health with an emphasis in environmental health sciences.
Health Policy and Management
The Health Policy and Management BSPH develops responsible graduates who have the necessary knowledge, skills and values to pursue successful careers in service to others in health systems in the U.S. and abroad. The program aims to prepare students for both entry-level positions and for advanced degree programs (e.g. graduate school, medical school, law school).