Current Environmental Sciences and Engineering (ESE) students can find the following departmental resources on this page.

  • Course Planning Worksheets – BSPH, MS, MSEE, MSPH, MPH EHS, PhD
  • Courses – semester schedules, ENVR 400, and more
  • Student Handbooks
  • Submitting Your Final Work – Thesis, Technical Report, Dissertation
  • ESE Grade Appeals Process
  • Daniel A. Okun Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Student Travel Award
  • Additional Resources – addressing student concerns, listservs, and more

Use the “QUICK LINKS” navigation to jump to more resources and information.

Course Planning Worksheets

BSPH EHS Course Planning* (link redirects to UNC Catalog)
*Students should primarily use Tar Heel Tracker for their course planning needs. Tar Heel Tracker can be accessed in ConnectCarolina (under “Academics,” from the drop-down menu select Tar Heel Tracker). Learn how to use this tool.

Assured Enrollment and Pre-BSPH EHS: Pre-Requisites Course Planning Worksheet (PDF)

MSEE Research Track – Course Planning Worksheet (PDF)

MSEE Professional Track – Course Planning Worksheet (PDF)

MSPH Course Planning Worksheet (PDF)

MS Course Planning Worksheet (PDF)

MPH EHS Course Planning (link redirects to the MPH EHS Concentration Overview and worksheet)

PhD Course Planning Worksheet (PDF)


Find our Semester Schedules, information about ENVR 400, and more here.

Student Handbooks

BSPH EHS Handbook

Master’s Handbook (MS, MSEE, MSPH)

MPH EHS Handbook

PhD Handbook

Submitting Your Final Work – Graduate Students

All graduate programs offered by the Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering require the completion of a project. Doctoral students write a dissertation, MS students a master’s thesis, and MSPH, MPH and MSEE students complete a technical report. Submission guidelines as follows.

Thesis (MS) and Dissertation (PhD)

Please refer to the graduate school’s submission instructions. After the thesis or dissertation is revised to the faculty advisor’s satisfaction, the student will upload it to the ProQuest Theses and Dissertations database (note that there is a fee). The Graduate School will review it before it is published and may require some revisions (usually formatting) from the student.

The ESE Student Services needs the confirmation email from the submission system, and notification from the advisor that it was ready to submit before any paperwork is processed. Submit both here.

Technical Report (MSPH, MPH, MSEE)

The Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering requires that the student submit:

  • A digital (PDF) copy uploaded to the Carolina Digital Repository (CDR) using this form. These will be checked by the student services office before being published on the CDR site. Embargoed reports will become “active” in the system after the embargo ends. The student should check with their advisor to see whether they want a paper copy.

ESE Grade Appeals Process

The Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering follows the University’s policy on grade appeals as outlined in the Graduate and Undergraduate Student Handbooks. Please take the time to read the Student Handbook that applies to you.

Daniel A. Okun Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Student Travel Award

The Daniel A. Okun Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Student Travel Award assists Environmental Sciences and Engineering (ESE) students with travel support to countries and communities around the world, rendering assistance to the community in engineering aspects of water, sanitation and hygiene while enhancing their educational experience. Support is open to all degree seeking students while preference will be given to Bachelor of Science in Public Health students or Environmental Engineering students when possible. One or more awards are granted annually totaling a maximum of US$2,000. More information.

Additional Resources

Addressing Students Concerns. Your well-being and positive student experience are important to us. Please visit and bookmark this page for reference. We are committed to addressing issues in a fair, timely and professional manner. We know it will not be possible in some cases, but to help us achieve the best outcome, we ask students to follow the 5 steps below whenever possible:

  • Step 1: Contact your instructor, the individual with whom you have a concern, or your faculty mentor as appropriate. Most concerns can be resolved through discussion between the person(s) involved. If you are uncomfortable interacting directly with the person(s), or if the concern is not resolved satisfactorily, proceed to step 2.
  • Step 2: Discuss the matter with your department’s Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) or the ESE Academic Coordinator. If you have consulted with the DGS, or designee, and still believe the matter has not been dealt with satisfactorily or equitably, proceed to step 3.
  • Step 3: Discuss the matter with your department chair. If you believe the matter has not been dealt with satisfactorily or equitably, you can proceed to step 4.
  • Step 4: Schedule a meeting with Charletta Sims Evans, the SPH Associate Dean for Student Affairs (, if you need further consultation.
  • Step 5: If the issue is still not resolved and you are a graduate student: schedule a meeting with Kate McAnulty, the associate dean for student affairs in The Graduate School ( Undergraduate students, contact the Office of Dean of Students.

Opt-in listserv for job postings: Link to subscribe. Once on the page, select “show more” and scroll down until you find the list name.

The latest edition ofSurvive and Thrive (PDF)” may be of interest, especially to incoming students. Originally compiled by health policy and management doctoral student Jason Mose, it is aimed at international students, but has a lot of valuable information about studying at UNC-Chapel Hill and living in the area.

If you have any questions, please contact ESE Student Services

Contact ESE Student Services

Jennifer Joyce Moore
ESE Academic Coordinator