Welcome to the Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering (ESE) at the Gillings School of Global Public Health.
Department Resources for Current Students
- For Bachelor of Science in Public Health (BSPH) Students
- Master of Science in Environmental Engineering (MSEE)
- Master of Public Health (MPH) in Environmental Health Solutions
- For Doctoral Students
- Graduate Student Handbook and Resources
- Complete list of our degrees including dual degree programs
- We have an opt-in listserv for job postings: firstname.lastname@example.org. Link to subscribe. Once on the page, select “show more” and scroll down until you find the list name.
- The latest edition of “Survive and Thrive (PDF)” may be of interest, especially to incoming students. Originally compiled by health policy and management doctoral student Jason Mose, it is aimed at international students, but has a lot of valuable information about studying at UNC-Chapel Hill and living in the area.
If you have any questions, please contact our student services office ESEStudentServices@unc.edu or the individual program manager.
Submitting Your Final Work
All graduate programs offered by the Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering require the completion of a project. Doctoral students write a dissertation, MS students a master’s thesis, and MSPH, MPH and MSEE students complete a technical report. Submission guidelines as follows.
Thesis (MS) and Dissertation (PhD)
Please refer to the graduate school’s submission instructions. After the thesis or dissertation is revised to the faculty advisor’s satisfaction, the student will upload it to the ProQuest Theses and Dissertations database (note that there is a fee). The Graduate School will review it before it is published and may require some revisions (usually formatting) from the student.
The Department’s student services office needs the confirmation email from the submission system, and notification from the advisor that it was ready to submit before any paperwork is processed.
Technical Report (MSPH, MPH, MSEE)
As of May 2014, the Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering requires that the student submit:
- A digital (PDF) copy uploaded to the Carolina Digital Repository using this form. These will be checked by the student services office before being published on the CDR site. Embargoed reports will become “active” in the system after the embargo ends. The student should check with their advisor to see whether they want a paper copy.
ESE Grade Appeals Process
The Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering follows the University’s policy on grade appeals as outlined in the Graduate and Undergraduate Student Handbooks. Please take the time to read the Student Handbook that applies to you.