Minimum Credit Hours
January 9, 2024 for current UNC students
October 15, 2023 for High School students applying through UNC Chapel Hill Early Action/Excel@Carolina
February 15, 2024 for UNC Transfer students
2 Years (typically Junior and Senior year) in the major coursework, 4 Years total
How To Apply
- Select “Apply for Major/Minor Change” in ConnectCarolina, which is available from the “other academic…” dropdown menu, located under the Academics section of the Student Center tab (SelfService > Student Center).
- Select the double arrow to go to the Apply for Major/Minor Change page, then select the BSPH major that you wish to apply for from the “Major/Minor” dropdown menu. You can click the “Dept. URL” button to display a link to department website.
- Once you have made your selection from the “Major/Minor” dropdown menu, you will need to select fall semester and year from the “Term” dropdown menu.
- Click the “I Agree” checkbox in order for the “Submit Request” button to become available.
- You will receive an email the next business day with a link to start the BSPH application. As a result, you cannot submit a major change form on the due date of the application. Please pay close attention to application deadlines to ensure that you can complete and submit the application on time.
Undergraduates at UNC Chapel Hill typically apply to the major of their choice during the middle of their sophomore year and, if admitted, begin coursework in the major in their junior fall.
You may apply to more than one major; however, you will need to complete and submit separate applications to each major. To receive a link to an application for a second public health major, you will need to start the process again with “Apply for Major/Minor Change.”
For Current High School Students
- Review our Assured Enrollment to our undergraduate majors.
- Complete your application for admission on the Common Application or Coalition Application website by the Early Action deadline.
- Complete the brief survey in the UNC supplement and indicate your interest for Assured Enrollment to on e or more of our undergraduate majors under Excel@Carolina opportunities. Please note that interest in these programs have no bearing on your admission decision, and the completion of this survey is not required for admission.
For Transfer Students
To apply for admission, follow these steps:
- Go to the Common Application to create an account and start your application.
- Submit the Common Application, the Common Application supplement, and application fee by the deadline above.
- Upload the statement of purpose requested in your Common Application supplement.
- Submit official transcripts from all high schools, colleges, and universities attended to:
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Jackson Hall, Campus Box 2200
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-2200
- Arrange to have two letters of recommendation – professional or academic – written on your behalf sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After you submit your application, you will receive instructions for creating your MyCarolina account, which will allow you to view the status of your application, including your admission decision. Be sure to check your MyCarolina account frequently for important application updates.
Who Should Apply
The Health Policy and Management BSPH develops graduates with a strong public health foundation, in-depth knowledge of the U.S. health system, and essential analytical, management and teamwork skills who pursue careers as health leaders, managers, policymakers, practitioners, clinicians and researchers.
Students must successfully complete certain prerequisites prior to starting the major. Students are encouraged to complete as many prerequisites as possible before applying, but applications will be accepted from students with prerequisites in progress in spring of their sophomore year.
3.0 GPA or higher
Letters of Recommendation Required
2 (academic and/or professional; at least one of your letters should be from someone qualified to evaluate your academic qualifications)
Learn about opportunities to connect with faculty, staff, and current students virtually and in person.
During and After The Program
For more information on our curriculum and graduate school/career outcomes, please visit the catalog.
Director of Undergraduate Studies
December 4, 2023 The grant will fund research designed to facilitate more widespread cancer screening and early detection, culminating in reduced cancer mortality. Specifically, the researchers will use data from CIPHR to create new tools based on insurance claims that more efficiently measure and compare cancer screening use across small geographic areas and groups of people.