Welcome to. . . SPH2020
Imagining the Future of Our School
In September 2010, faculty, staff, students alumni and friends of UNC-Gillings shared their knowledge, ideas, dreams and visions for what the School should be like in the year 2020.
Dean Barbara K. Rimer wrote Wake Up: It’s 2020 (PDF) to get people thinking concretely about the future.
Via virtual and in-person communications, people gave us their expectations for the School in 2020. Participants wrote, commented and voted on comments in 10 thought categories, which were then grouped into eight.
Following that effort, leaders at the School coalesced these thought categories even further and have taken significant strides in moving towards the aspirations expressed through the 2010 visioning process. Read on to find out more!
Diversity and Inclusion: Key actions and achievements, 2010-Present
- Diversity and Inclusion Task Force (DITF) convened (Fall 2010); offers key recommendations (Spring 2011);
- Dean’s Council, Department Chairs approve and post a diversity statement and a strengthened EEO statement to SPH website (Fall 2011, Spring 2012);
- Rumay Alexander, EdD, RN, Clinical Professor and Director of Multicultural Affairs at the School of Nursing, is appointed Diversity Champion for UNC-Gillings;
- Awards processes for the School are updated (Spring 2012);
- Diversity recruitment specialist, Ms. Trinnette Cooper, is hired to support our diversity, outreach and recruitment programs (Spring 2012);
- School makes modest gains in student, staff and faculty diversity in Fall 2012 and again in Fall 2013);
- Admissions practices across departments are reviewed (Spring 2013); each department adopts at least one new promising practices for the Fall 2013 admissions season;
- The School’s Office of Student Affairs nets support from the Jesse Ball DuPont Fund to extend pipeline programs.
Revenue Generation: Key actions and achievements: 2010-Present
- Revenue Generation Task Force convened (Fall 2010); offers key recommendations (Spring 2011);
- The School’s Research and Innovation Solutions group develops intellectual property training program (Spring 2012)
- Under the leadership of Bryan Weiner, PhD, Professor of Health Policy and Management, UNC-Gillings establishes the Consortium on Implementation Science with RTI International (May 2013). The Consortium promises to coalesce and maximize the School’s formidable research capacity in a critical new area, implementation science. Researchers involved with the Consortium have submitted several major grants since inception.
Global School: Key actions and achievements, 2010-Present
- Global School Task Force convened, Spring 2011; recommends creation of the “Gillings Global Gateway” to integrate, organize and promote the School’s global activities (Executive Summary, September 2012).
- Global School Implementation Committee conducts focus group with faculty and students from across the School to identify key issues, concerns and priority areas; develops pragmatic, phased implementation plan (Executive Summary, June 2013).
- Barbara (Bobbi) Wallace, MPH, named Interim Executive Director; Peggy Bentley, PhD, Chamblee Distinguished Professor of Nutrition, continues as Associate Dean of Global Health (June 2013).
- Taskforce on Global Strategic Partnerships develops recommendations on priorities and processes for selecting and investing in global partners (report pending).
- Development of global MPH underway.
Teaching and Learning: Key actions and achievements, 2010-Present
- Fall seminar series on new directions in teaching and technology launched, sustained (Fall 2011, 2012, 2013)
- Three different classrooms, plus common areas, newly redesigned to feature latest learning technologies, including expanded capacity for collaborative learning (Fall 2012, Fall 2013)
- Celebrate Teaching month held annually in February (2012, 2013)
Interested in finding out more about the origin and evolution of SPH2020?
- Wake Up: It’s 2020: Background information for the SPH2020 process
- Categories and Questions: Questions offered to stimulate thinking about our School’s thinking
- What is SPH2020: The initial framing statement for the SPH2020 data gathering process
- SPH2020 Process Memo: Memo from Dean Rimer outlining the SPH2020 strategic planning process
- May 2011 Update: A report, one year out, on accomplishments to date with SPH2020 plans
- How to participate: How we involved stakeholders