Meet the Inclusive Excellence Team
The Gillings School of Global Public Health’s Office of Inclusive Excellence works on developing a climate in which everyone feels welcomed, wanted and supported. To accomplish this goal, we work to:
- provide inclusive excellence training to students, faculty, and staff at Gillings
- integrate social justice and racial equity into curricula at all levels of education
- improve methods for communicating about difference, inclusion, and equity throughout Gillings
- advocate on behalf of students for fairness and transparency regarding employment opportunities and supports across the School
- support the recruitment and retention of a diverse community of faculty, students and staff
Associate Dean for Inclusive Excellence
Kauline Cipriani, PhD is associate dean for inclusive excellence, where she leads the development and implementation of initiatives and strategies to enhance access, diversity, cultural competence and inclusiveness within the School. She is also associate professor in the Public Health Leadership Program.
Director of Education and Training
Yesenia Merino, PhD, MPH, is director of inclusive excellence education and training, where she conducts mixed methods research on institutional racism and academic public health, teaches about structural racism and health, and delivers trainings on inclusion and antiracism to improve the inclusive environment at the Gillings School.
Graduate Assistant for Inclusive Excellence
Hailey Mason serves as the graduate assistant on the Inclusive Excellence team. In this role, she assists with the development, coordination, and implementation of educational, cultural and inclusion programs across the School. She also is an MPH student in the Department of Health Behavior. She is interested in school-based health programs as well as working with communities and institutions to improve the success of minoritized students in higher education.