What sets the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health apart from other top-ranked institutions?
It’s the people.
We are a community of engaged faculty, staff and students who work with communities and across disciplines in North Carolina and around the world to solve some of our most challenging health problems. We have a small-school feel with all the advantages of a large, world-class university.
At the Gillings School, we believe we can make a world of difference, and we strive to make that belief a reality every day.
Gillings faculty, staff and students study, research, act on and help solve urgent public health problems.
- Big problems, big solutions. We’re finding ways to prevent cancer, reduce health disparities, improve water quality and access, prevent obesity in children and create practical, cost-effective solutions to improving health policy.
- Focus on community. We work with communities in our research, teaching and outreach to address community health problems.
- Constructive action. We collaborate and engage beyond programs and departments to produce results.
We quantify data on food consumption and availability to prevent obesity.
We find cures for SARS and other noroviruses.
We develop new biostatistics methods so clinical trials can be completed faster.Learn More
We improve the health and safety of children.Learn More
We create responsive solutions to drug misuse and overdoses.Learn More
We identify practices to keep drinking water safe.Learn More
We lead HIV and AIDS research, treatment and outreach.
We train first responders to be effective.Learn More
- We are everywhere. We do research or outreach in all 100 North Carolina counties, across the United States and in 82 countries around the world.
- We are nimble and creative. Our approaches, methods and solutions are adaptable as seen by successes in North Carolina, Tanzania, China, or Brazil informing applications in other countries, in N.C. and throughout the U.S.
- We can help you meet your goals. Every department offers opportunities for local and global study.
For every significant public health challenge now or on the horizon, our faculty, staff and students create, lead and implement research and solutions locally and globally.
At the Gillings School, you find people working together across disciplines to make a difference. You find practical idealists who are gaining new knowledge about some of the world’s biggest health threats. You find the faculty, staff and students translating knowledge into programs, policies and practices and taking them to scale.
- Great spaces. Our 21st-century classrooms, labs and meeting spaces help propel our work. Our open doors and open spaces help us engage, exchange ideas and move forward.
- Interdisciplinary inquiry. We’re across the street from the medical, nursing and dental schools, next door to our pharmacy school, a short walk from arts and sciences and around the corner from one of the finest hospitals and cancer centers in the U.S. At the School, it’s easy to make connections, explore concepts from all angles, ask and answer questions and make progress.
- Outstanding university. UNC-Chapel Hill is known as one of the nation’s great “public ivies.” Students at the Gillings School have access to the deep resources available throughout the campus.
- Great college town. And then there’s Chapel Hill, a diverse, welcoming community that helps define the Gillings experience.
At the Gillings School, we…
- Solve potable water access and sanitation problems;
- Pioneer new efforts to prevent and control cancer;
- Prevent diabetes, asthma, HIV, cardiovascular disease, premature births, traumatic brain injuries and interpersonal violence;
- Improve health care quality and access;
- Reduce health disparities;
- Work with communities to solve problems they identify;
- Educate physicians and other providers to infuse a public health approach into their work;
- Innovate ways to prevent and treat obesity in children and adults; and
- Much more!
- Insights into Understanding the Global Refugee Crisis September 19 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Student Organizations and Activities Fair September 23 @ 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
- UNC Center for Environmental Health and Susceptibility Fall Symposium September 27 @ 10:00 am - 1:30 pm