Explore Ways to Give


You can make a secure gift online anytime at http://giving.unc.edu/gift/sph.

By phone or in person

Speak with a member of our staff by calling (919) 966-0198, or visit our office at 107 Rosenau Hall between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

By mail

Mail a check, payable to the Public Health Foundation to:

Public Health Foundation
P.O. Box 309
Chapel Hill, NC 27514-0309

Gifts of cash

An outright gift of cash is usually the simplest way to give and is tax-deductible. You can make these gifts online at giving.unc.edu/gift/sph or you can send a check or money order, payable to the Public Health Foundation, to:

Public Health Foundation
P.O. Box 309
Chapel Hill, NC 27514-0309

Gifts of stocks or bonds

You may deduct the full fair market value of long-term appreciated securities and avoid any tax on the capital gain. For instructions on how to send a gift of stocks or bonds click here.

Gifts by bequest

One of the easiest and most common ways for you to make a gift to the School is through a bequest in your will. Bequests work particularly well if you are unable to make an immediate outright gift or if you have concerns about your long-term planning, but believe in our programs and want to support the future of the School. You can learn more about your planned giving options by contacting us or reading more information here.

IRA charitable rollover

If you are 70½ or older you may be interested in a way to lower the income and taxes from your IRA withdrawals. An IRA charitable rollover is a way you can help continue our work and benefit this year. You can avoid taxes on transfers, satisfy all or part of your required minimum distribution (RMD) for the year, reduce your taxable income, and you will help further our work and mission. You can learn more about your IRA Rollover options by contacting us or reading more information here.

Wire transfer

Gifts of cash made via wire transfer can be made to any department within Gillings and will be received in UNC-Chapel Hill’s Bank of America account. Please notify the Office of Gift Services of any incoming wires so that the gift may be directed properly. Call the Office of Gift Services at (919) 962-8189 for more information.

Life income gifts

By transferring property to the management of a trustee and establishing a life income arrangement from the principal of this property, you can make a substantial gift to the School. Life income gifts can take several forms: unitrust, annuity trust, pooled income funds and gift annuities.

Frequently, donors place an underachieving but appreciated asset into the trust, have the trust sell the asset with no capital gains tax, and reinvest the proceeds to produce income for life for the donor and still provide for the School upon their death.

Other Vehicles Include:

  • gifts of real estate
  • gifts of property with a retained right of usage

To learn more, please contact us.

Don’t forget about matching gifts!

Matching gifts from your or your spouse’s or partner’s employer can double or triple your gift. To find out if your company matches, contact your personnel office or search for your company at matchinggifts.com/unc

Other ways to give


You may wish to extend your gifts over a period of time, especially if it is a major gift. You can do so by filling out a pledge form (PDF) and sending it to SPH Advancement. The form will allow you to outline the amount of the pledge, the payment schedule, and where the gift will go. Most donors fulfill their commitment within three to five years, though special circumstances may warrant a longer time period. You may fulfill your pledge with gifts of cash, securities or other forms of personal or real property.

Naming opportunities

One way we recognize substantial gifts is by naming endowed funds for faculty professorships, student scholarships or dedicated research. The School also names facilities in honor or memory of donors or family members who support the School and its much-needed programs and facilities. Please contact us at giving.sph@unc.edu or (919) 966-0198 to learn more about the ways you can make a difference at the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health.

Our Team

SPH Advancement
135 Dauer Drive
107 Rosenau Hall, CB #7400
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7400
(919) 966-0198