About Academic Affairs
At the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health, we know that health care leaders need a variety of skills and knowledge to be prepared for all of the new developments that lie ahead. That is why Academic Affairs is committed to the pursuit of excellence in all of the School’s academic activities. We ensure that public health courses meet the changing needs of local and global communities and high standards of integrity and rigor.
Our success is built upon the stature of our faculty. That is, to be effective, the School needs a cadre of individuals, irrespective of gender, race or ethnicity, who are dedicated to creative and innovative approaches to education. While the School is committed to attracting individuals who can achieve just that, Academic Affairs has been entrusted with facilitating their professional growth.
The responsibilities of the associate dean for Academic Affairs include:
- serving in oversight capacity for the Office of Student Affairs; the Appointments, Promotions and Tenure Committee and the Academic Programs Committee
- encouraging interdisciplinary approaches to education and use of innovative teaching and learning methodologies
- representing the School on University-wide committees related to Academic Affairs (UNC Academic Plan)
- representing the School on related committees of professional associations, such as the Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health (ASPPH) and the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH)
- ensuring that our School meets the newly revised criteria for CEPH accreditation and overseeing the preparation of the self-study documentation
- leading the development of the Gillings MPH Core and GO MPH.
Explore the pages of this section to learn more about Appointments, Promotions and Tenure (APT), the Academic Programs Committee (APC), the CEPH accreditation process and the dedicated personnel who make our endeavors possible. As you explore this site, please feel free to let us know how we might serve you better.