- Provides strategic visioning and leadership for academic planning and oversight of Students Affairs efforts
- Oversees and implements activities related to the Appointments, Promotions and Tenure process
- Ensures high-quality and integrity of School’s curriculum
- Represents Gillings School of Global Public Health on academic matters university-wide
- Ensures the School meets criteria for CEPH and SACs accreditations
- Chairs the Academic Programs Committee (APC) and the MPH Steering Committee.
- Ex Officio member of the Appointments, Promotions and Tenure (APT) Committee
Dana Rice, DrPH
Assistant Dean for Master’s Degree Programs, Academic Affairs and Assistant Professor, Public Health Leadership Program
Melanie Studer, PhD
Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Programs and
Assistant Professor and BSPH Program Director, Health Policy and Management
- Provides technical assistance for curriculum development, program coordination and evaluation for accreditation compliance.
- Directs submission of compliance reports to the school’s accreditor, the Council on Education for Public Health.
- Co-leads the schoolwide Evaluation Plan and co-chairs the Evaluation Committee.
- Manages the Academic Programs Committee.
- Provides faculty development resources, consultations and workshops on best practices in competency-based instruction.
- Leads program and operations for the residential MPH program and COMPASS (Core Online Modules to Promote and Accelerate Student Success)
- Manages dual degree partnerships for the master’s of public health program
- Chairs the Culminating Experience/ Integrated Learning Experience (ILE) Subcommittee
Catherine Gihlstorf, MEd
Associate Director for MPH@UNC
- Leads program and operations for the online MPH@UNC program
- Liaises with technology delivery partner for MPH@UNC
- Coordinates program excellence with admissions, advising, student support and marketing
Meg Landfried, MPH
MPH Practicum Director, Academic Affairs and Assistant Professor, Health Behavior
Julea Steiner, MPH
Associate Director, MPH Practicum and Assistant Professor, Academic Affairs
- Manages and coordinates large scale, data-driven higher education projects and strategic initiatives at the School
- Edits Academic Affairs e-newsletter and 5 MPH Quick Facts; manage Academic Affairs website and other communication deliverables
- Coordinates meetings for schoolwide committees – Chairs’ Committee, MPH Steering Committee, and Academic Programs Committee
Kerstin Sorensen, PhD
Adjunct Faculty Coordinator for MPH@UNC
- Manages recruitment, onboarding and retention of adjunct faculty to teach with MPH@UNC
- Provides oversight, support, and feedback to ensure quality of adjunct faculty performance and serves as a resource to MPH@UNC teaching teams
- Manages process improvements/strategic tasks to support onboarding, develop quality control strategy, and create professional development opportunities.
MPH@UNC Immersions Coordinator
- Assists with operations for residential MPH and COMPASS (Core Online Modules to Promote and Accelerate Student Success)
- Lead for student communication pertaining to all Gillings MPH students both residentially and online
- Assists with processing concentration changes, student deferrals and the biannual hiring process for Teaching Assistants and Senior Fellowship
Executive Assistant to Senior Associate Dean
- Provides email, calendar, meeting and administrative support for the Senior Associate Dean
- Coordinates and supports activities related to schoolwide events and Academic Affairs committees