Certificate in Global Health (PGHC)
This is an interdisciplinary 9-credit hour program of graduate study that examines the complexities inherent in improving health on a global scale. Prepares students to work in changing environments and with diverse populations and to respond competently to health challenges presented by permeable geographic and cultural boundaries. All courses are taught completely online; no travel to the UNC-Chapel Hill campus is required. Online certificates are available to any interested student NOT currently enrolled at UNC-Chapel Hill. After viewing the GPS overview, see our Online Global Health Certificate partner page for additional information.
Fall See application details page for more info.
Healthcare practitioners who wish to strengthen their global health competencies and abilities.
- Total Enrollment 1620
- Female 72%, Male 28%
- Underrepresented Minority Students 16.3%
- International 11%
Program Costs & Funding
- Tuition and fee information can be found on the University Cashier website.
- Compare the cost of living at UNC and surrounding areas with other comparison schools.
- Learn about the funding opportunities from the UNC Graduate School, the UNC Gillings Financial Aid page, and the UNC Office of Scholarship & Student Aid.
Bachelor's degree or international equivalent
School-wide: Incoming students had a mean undergraduate GPA of 3.5
Yes Relevant global health or public health work experience (min of 3-5 years preferred).
Learn about opportunities to come to UNC Gillings to meet faculty, staff, and current students. If you are unable to come to campus – don’t worry – our representatives attend a variety of recruitment events around the United States as well as host virtual fairs and webinars.
During the Program
For a detailed description of all the requirements for this degree program please click here for the Student Handbook.
No comprehensive exams
The UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health strives to integrate global content and approaches across the School’s courses, programs and degrees. We believe that every student should emerge from our School with an understanding of global health issues. Some courses are focused largely on global issues, others are designed so that global and local issues are intertwined and some still are evolving. Learn more about these options.
Many enrolled students will have the opportunity to pursue our graduate global health certificate, while others may choose global health courses, internships or independent study with global focus.
After the Program
Local and international NGO staff and management and other leadership activities; global contract research organizations; project and administrative management
Program planning and evaluation; change initiatives; leadership activities; strategic planning
Complete online applicationMoreLess
- Fee: 77
- Step Link
(The Graduate School Application is a common application system for UNC-Chapel Hill programs.)
See program details in GPS for requirements such as prequisites, prior degree, work experience, any test score waivers, as well as a tuition estimate and program overview.
Applicant information, including North Carolina residency information.
- Please upload a copy of your most recent transcript(s), including your current term grades, if applicable. (If grades are not yet available, send them to the UNC Gillings program contact as soon as they become available.) Be sure the transcript reflects the name of the institution and any degrees you received.
You will be asked about honor code, crime, academic sanction, military discharge, etc.
Upload your personal statement.
- Upload a document that answers the following questions (no more than 2 pages).
- Please explain your global health interest.
- Please explain your global health experience.
- Please explain how you would use the knowledge gained from this certificate.
- Please describe your resources available to complete this certificate, including time allocated to completing the certificate and technical and financial support.
Upload your resume or CV.
Enter names of recommenders. UNC will then send them an email with instructions for submitting a letter on your behalf. We encourage references from professors or teachers (or teaching assistants) or work/research supervisors who have worked directly and closely with you and who can speak about you with specificity.
- Not required
Document submission (check legibility of uploads)
Pay the Graduate School application fee.
Track your progress.
- You will be able to track status through the Graduate School application. Once a decision is made, you will receive an email instructing login to the Graduate School application portal to see the decision letter.
FYI: application review processMoreLess
SPH application review:
- No interview required.
- You will be notified via email regarding program decision.