Breastfeeding Exclusive Spring 2019 - BEBES
Carolina BEBES Student Group Update
The US is in a crisis when it comes to maternal morbidity and mortality and health equity issues. Deep and interdisciplinary discussion about these issues is integral to eventual solutions. This year, during National Public Health week, the Carolina BEBES hosted a panel of maternal and child health providers to discuss optimization of care for the mother-baby dyad. The panel included an interdisciplinary group of health providers, including MRTTI grads, who dedicate their lives to helping parents through this time period. The panel included:
- Keya Brevard, Childbirth Doula, Founder of SUCKLE
- Sarah Dumas, Certified Nurse Midwife, Clinical Director of the Women’s Birth and Wellness Center
- Heidi Sammartino, RN, IBCLC, Nurse at UNC
- Jamila Squires, RN, MPH, IBCLC, Lactation Consultant at UNC
- Kristin Tully, PhD, Investigator on the 4th Trimester Project
Moderated by MCH department PhD candidate Caitlin Williams, the panel was able to explore the role each panelist plays in the care of the mother-baby dyad, as well as provide commentary on current maternal and child health trends. The event opened up room for many future panels on different aspects of health in the mother-baby dyad.
BEBES completed their Spring semester activities with a tour of the Women’s Birth and Wellness Center in Chapel Hill in April.