Resources: Child Care Program Toolkit
Materials in the toolkit are divided into four categories.
1. Self-Assessment and Assessment Tools for Child Care Centers (blue border)
The self-assessment is a training tool to help the child care cent determine current breastfeeding–friendly strengths and needs in order to improve its breastfeeding support. The self-assessment is based on the Ten Steps to Breastfeeding –Friendly Child Care.
Provides instructions for completing the “Breastfeeding-Friendly Child Care” Self-Assessment, including clarification of the questions and a list of definitions of terms.
The action plan is developed based on the responses to the self-assessment. The Trainer guides the director in determining the goals, specific actions, persons involved, and target dates for completion.”
Provides instructions for completing the “Breastfeeding-Friendly Child Care” Action Plan.
The Ten Steps are an evidence-based approach to improving support for breastfeeding families.
- CGBI_BFCC Training Pretest Sample Version | Printable Download
- CGBI_BFCC Training Post Test Sample Version | Printable Download
The pre- and post- tests include questions about the information in the early care provider training. This is a useful tool to highlight specific information and to show increased knowledge and understanding regarding breastfeeding.
2. Educational and Reference Materials for Child Care Centers (purple border)
This sample policy provides examples of statements and procedures that may be used to guide the center’s decisions regarding breastfeeding support.
This poster describes ways in which the center supports families who are breastfeeding or who are considering breastfeeding.
This includes guidelines for child care centers regarding the handling of human milk. It was developed in consultation with NC Environmental Health and Safety.
- CGBI_BFCC Breastfeeding Supported Here Posters (NEW) View Options | Printable Downloads
- CGBI_BFCC Breastfeeding Welcome Here Poster Sample Version | Printable Download
- CGBI_BFCC Aqui Apoyamos la Lactancia Materna Poster Sample Version | Printable Download
These posters aim to normalize lactation and underscore the child care program’s commitment to welcome breastfeeding families.
This resource lists examples of items for the classroom that provide learning and play opportunities that include breastfeeding.
3. Educational Materials For All Families (orange border)
- CGBI_BFCC Infant Feeding Guide Sample Version | Printable Download
- CGBI_BFCC Infant Feeding Guide | Spanish Translation Sample Version | Printable Download
This booklet contains information in the above breastfeeding booklet on common feeding myths, learning your baby’s cues, and feeding in response to those cues. There is also a section entitled “Even if you’re not a breastfeeding mother, consider learning more about breastfeeding.”
This interactive feeding guide helps child care providers encourage feeding on cue and appropriate timing of introduction of solids.
4. Educational Materials for Breastfeeding Families (green border)
Specific information about maintaining breastfeeding while you are away from your baby, as well as bringing milk to the child care center.
This was written to provide basic, general information on breastfeeding, particularly for mothers who anticipate regular separations from their babies.
Lists the benefits of supporting breastfeeding employees.
It is important to note that all materials were developed in conjunction with a training for early care providers, which is an integral part of the intervention. The related training, because of its interactive nature, does not lend itself to inclusion in the toolkit. CGBI staff are available to provide training to trainers, and hope to develop options for remote and web-based trainings in the future. For more information about this, or about developing materials specific to your locality, contact the Project Director, Daina Huntley, at email@example.com.