Welcome! Karibu! ¡Bienvenido! أهلا وسهلا! স্বাগতম! 欢迎！Maligayang pagdating! Bienvenue! Herzlich Willkommen! आपका स्वागत है! 에 오신 것을 환영합니다! ברוכים הבאים! ようこそ！Добро пожаловать! ยินดีต้อนรับคุณ! Chào mừng bạn! Selamat Datang! Bem-vindo! خوش آمدید! Welkom!
Why UNC Gillings?
International students make up about 10 percent of our student body, which is about 150 to 170 students each year. Throughout our 75-year history, students and faculty from every corner of the world have made enormous contributions to the School’s legacy of discovery, leadership and impact. Our School is the #1 public school of public health and one of the top two public health schools in the U.S. Join us and study in an atmosphere that combines intellectual challenge with warmth, caring and support. Whatever your field of study, a degree from the Gillings School carries enormous prestige around the world. Check out our video below and learn why UNC Gillings is a great experience for our international students!
If you’re interested in learning more about our programs, please fill out our prospective student inquiry form.
Thinking about applying to the Gillings School and not sure which program or department is better suited for you? The Gillings Program Search (GPS) provides a search option for our School’s degree and non-degree programs. You can find which department or program best matches your interest and be able to determine the approximate cost of a particular degree and information about how to apply. For more information on our admissions process, please visit the How to Apply page.
International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), is the main administrative office for all international students. Check out the ISSS website to find useful information if you are a applying to UNC.
Survive and Thrive: A Guide for Incoming Public Health Students From Around the World. It is full of helpful information including visa resources, housing information, places for the best food, banking, etc.
The three videos below from the UNC Graduate School highlight important information from the perspective of current and former UNC-Chapel Hill international students. The videos cover finding a new place to live and helping your family members settle into their new community. You’ll also learn about important academic policies, health insurance, academic resources that support your success and professional development opportunities.
The Writing Center
- Speaking Groups
- Language and culture discussions with American students
- Writing Groups
- Disciplinary and interdisciplinary groups facilitated by English language specialists
- Grammar Workshops
- Weekly workshops designed to help students manipulate grammatical structures to achieve their rhetorical purposes
- Academic Communication Mini Courses
- Provides an overview of academic writing at the graduate level and focuses on critical tasks in graduate writing
- Wednesday Workshop Series
- Grammar, writing and professionalism topics
- English Pronunciation Course
- American English Pronunciations
- Other Resources
Please contact Dr. Gigi Taylor for more information
- International Coffee Hour – Join monthly for an hour and chat about challenges and experiences on campus. Meet staff and fellow students excited about global engagement.
- Southern Culture Movie Series – Join once a month to be introduced to the entertaining world of the American South.
- UNC International Facebook Page – Be sure to “Like” the page to stay current on events happening on campus and at the Writing Center.