Maternal and Child Health-Home
Our maternal and child health department was founded in 1950 and is one of the world’s leading academic departments for research, teaching and practice. We are dedicated to improving the health of women, children and families — domestically and globally. Our teaching program provides students with broad exposure to maternal and child health population needs and priorities, as well as the skills to become leaders of tomorrow. Our faculty members represent a rich mix of academic backgrounds and interests, contributing expertise and leadership in a wide range of disciplines. We invite you to join us as we embark upon an exciting new year of scholarship, leadership and service.
Our research strengths include:
- Developing a strong evidence base to improve health policies, programs and practices for women and children, locally and globally;
- Working in interdisciplinary teams to develop innovative solutions for addressing health disparities among women and children;
- Using innovative approaches, including implementation science, to support the successful implementation of proven women’s and children’s interventions at scale; and
- Using quantitative and qualitative methods to improve the health of women, children and families in North Carolina, the nation and the world.
Gillings Program Search (GPS)
for prospective students provides a search option for our School’s degree and non-degree programs, as well as the ability to drill down to an overview of each program’s quick facts and related information about how to apply.
Alum, Chipman recipient passes [More]
Study confirms impact of HIV and malaria upon maternal mortality in Mozambique [article]
Alumna, Chisara Asomugha, MD, MSPH (’02), FAAP, publishes on patient protection and the Affordable Care Act in The Lancet.
MCH students awarded global internships through Gillings Global Gateway partners [More]
Taylor recipient of 2014 Sidney S. Chipman Alumni Award [Chipman]
Margolis receives McGavran Award [More]
New student orientation
- Supporting Diversity at Gillings, Saturday, Aug 16, 9:30 am – 3:30 pm, Register
- Potluck for new students and their families, Sunday, Aug 17, 5:30-7:30 pm, Michael Hooker Atrium
- School-wide welcome, Monday, Aug. 18, 8:00-9:15 am, Michael Hooker Atrium
- MCH orientation, Monday, Aug. 18, 9:20 am – 3:00 pm, 003/004 MHRC.