Do you want to curb the opioid epidemic? Ensure better access to health care for all? Reduce and eliminate malaria in global settings?
These are just a few of the passions you can pursue through the Gillings MPH Practicum. We partner with communities and organizations from Lenoir County, N.C. to Lilongwe, Malawi, and we can help you gain the hands-on experience you need to attain your dreams.
Select the headings on the right to learn more about the MPH practicum requirements and opportunities.
Have a practicum opportunity you would like to advertise to our students?
Fill out and submit an intake form below. Once approved, the MPH practicum team will post the opportunity to the online practicum opportunity database.
Gillings MPH Practicum
This 200 (minimum) hour planned, mentored, and evaluated work experience (paid or unpaid) gives you the real-world opportunity to integrate and apply knowledge, skills, and values from Year One of your Gillings MPH training in a professional public health setting such as a nonprofit organization, hospital, local or state health department, or for-profit firm (public or private sectors).
You’ll have support as you work to identify a partner and project, develop ideas that can benefit both you and your partner organization, and then bring these ideas to fruition. And upon completion, you will have a portfolio of products that demonstrate your attainments to future employers.
SPHG 701: MPH Practicum Preparation (2 credits)
- Provides support for the practicum process
- Trains students on how to ethically, meaningfully, and professionally engage with practicum organizations and their stakeholders through critical consciousness raising and skill building in leadership and interprofessional practice
SPHG 702: MPH Practicum Reflection (1 credit)
- Facilitates critical reflection on, and sharing of, practicum experiences.
- Helps students translate their practicum work into their long-term career goals.
- Participate in public health practice, research and/or policy activities.
- Provide 200 (minimum) hours to the practicum organization.
- Produce at least two deliverables for practicum organization.
- Receive mentorship from a public health professional.
- Carry out practicum within countries approved for student travel.
- Apply graduate-level public health skills and CEPH competencies.
2019 Gillings MPH Practicum Facts
Students worked in 23 counties in North Carolina
Students worked in 17 countries
Students worked with over 130 organizations
2019 Gillings MPH Practicum
Each year we celebrate the many productive collaborations among students, faculty, staff and community partners.