Gillings School Welcome Events
Gillings Diversity Orientation: Successfully Navigating the Gillings School
Friday, August 17, 2018
8:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Joan Heckler Gillings Auditorium (133 Rosenau Hall)
The Diversity Orientation connects Gillings students from various groups (e.g., students of color, international students, transfer students, LGBTQ students, students with families or students who have been out of school for more than 10 years) to each other and to related resources. This orientation is created to assist students in transitioning to a new chapter in life. A continental breakfast and lunch will be served.
- 8:30 a.m. Networking Breakfast
- 9:15 a.m. Gillings Welcome and Orientation Overview
- 9:30 a.m. University Resources and Environment
- 10:45 a.m. Break
- 11 a.m. Successfully Navigating at the Gillings School
- Noon Remarks by Barbara K. Rimer, DrPH, dean and Alumni Distinguished Professor
- 12:15 p.m. Lunch
- 1 p.m. Closing and Wrap Up
Gillings Welcome Event
Monday, August 20, 2018
8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Armfield Atrium, Michael Hooker Research Center
Registration is not required for the Gillings Welcome Event.
- 8:30 a.m. Kickoff and Breakfast with Rameses, Jr.
- 9 a.m. Welcome from Dean Rimer
- 9:45 a.m. Departmental Orientation Sessions
Department Orientations Sessions
Save the dates. Departments are eager to welcome new students to the Gillings School. More information coming soon.
Engage. Meet faculty, students, staff and future colleagues. Learn essential information about programs. Get questions answered. Connect with people, projects, jobs, upcoming events and student groups. Find your way around the Gillings School, UNC-Chapel Hill and the town of Chapel Hill. Participate. Department orientations provide detailed information specific to each degree program that will be essential to success at the Gillings School.
Epidemiology – Departmental Agenda (PDF)
Maternal & Child Health – Departmental Agenda (PDF)
Nutrition – Departmental Agenda (PDF)
Public Health Leadership – Departmental Agenda (PDF)
The Office of Student Affairs has a number of resources and recommendations included in the Orientation Packet to help students succeed this academic year. Please review and print documents below.
- Student Affairs Calendar, Fall 2018 (PDF)
- Survive and Thrive – A Guide to Gillings and Beyond, Fall 2018 (PDF)
- 2017 ASPPH (Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health) (PDF)
- Graduate School Upcoming Events, 2018
- SPH Career Counseling and Services
- Undergraduate Honor Code
- Graduate and Professional Honor System
- Newly Admitted Graduate Student Checklist
- Resources for New Graduate Students
- Graduate School Orientation Registration
- Graduate Student Guide
- Graduate School Professional Development Program
- Graduate School Funding for Current Students
- Graduate Funding Information Center
- Financial Aid Questions
- Addressing Student Concerns Guide (PDF)
Contact your department’s student services manager.