We’re passionate about our mission: to improve public health, promote individual well-being and eliminate health inequities across North Carolina and around the world. We anticipate future health threats and challenges and accelerate improved public health solutions. Our view of public health is broad, diverse and inclusive in disciplines, people and perspectives. Read our diversity statement. We believe in creating and sustaining an environment that is diverse, inclusive and civil. We are committed to outstanding teaching, research, scholarship and practice, and to bridging the gap between academic research and practical public health solutions. We have a major focus on the science of implementation and delivery. We’ve earned our ranking as the top public school of public health, and we are committed to earning it anew—every day!
What’s so great about our School? We are…
- Outstanding departments embedded within a School that is collaborative and discipline-spanning.
- We have some of the most talented teachers, researchers and scholars anywhere in the world. They are committed to students and accessible to them.
- Balancing leading-edge research with an emphasis on engaged, informed, community-based practice.
- Forging local roots, global impact.
- Committed to reducing health problems of diverse populations and achieving health equity.
- Making a difference by implementing evidence-based programs and policies.
Starring our amazing students
Our student body includes approximately 1,600 diverse, smart, creative, global and local students who are . . .
- Committed to making the world safer and healthier.
- Inventive, innovative and entrepreneurial undergraduate and graduate students
- Accomplished and high achieving; they win awards, publish papers and hold leadership positions
- Close collaborators with faculty, staff, practitioners and fellow students
- Getting the jobs they want after graduation!
Great learning opportunities in North Carolina and around the world
- In residence and online, through classes, laboratory work, fieldwork, internships, practica, volunteer work and research, students are engaged across N.C. and around the world.
- There are unparalleled opportunities for interdisciplinary learning, innovation and impact.
- When important visitors come to the School from around the world, students participate—enhancing their networks, forging new relationships and expanding their horizons.
- Students serve on school-wide and departmental leadership committees.
Gillings School of Global Public Health…a great place to be in a great place to live
- Enjoy spaces to collaborate, contemplate and be part of a culture of health.
- Start new organizations and companies; volunteer.
- Be part of one of the world’s great universities, a top-ranked school and a wonderful community.
Life after school
- After graduation, 96% of students go on to further their education or have jobs.
- Our alumni work and lead all over the world—in universities, businesses, government organizations, NGOs and wherever public health expertise can make a difference.
Stay tuned; stay connected
Stay on top of School news and events through our website, Twitter, YouTube and Facebook pages, and read my blog, Monday Morning. Explore the various campus spaces available for students’ use. If you have any questions about the School, please contact your department chair or student services manager or our assistant dean for student affairs, Charletta Sims Evans. I am also here for you. We welcome your questions and comments about the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health, so please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Warmly, Barbara K. Rimer
- Welcome and Insurance 101 - International Student Welcome Week August 26 @ 8:30 am - 9:30 am
- 7th Annual Diversity THINKposium: Voice September 4 @ 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
- LGBTQ Health Disparities Research Collaborative Kickoff September 9 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm