Select a specific research support topic here or scroll down the page to view all of our information on research support.
For more information, the Research Compliance Learning Community is an at-a-glance, at-your-fingertips, all-things-Research Compliance learning and information tool for UNC researchers, their research teams, research administrators, and research-related IT personnel.
The UNC Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) strives to provide UNC faculty and staff assistance in all aspects of the administration of their externally funded research. Gillings researchers can find important information about research policies on the OSR website.
- For information on research as a “gift” or a “sponsored project,” please see the University’s policy and the University’s guidance on these topics
- UNC Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) Policies and Procedures
- UNC Research Code of Conduct Policy
- UNC Research Code of Conduct Standard
The Gillings School also has its own policy (updated August 8, 2016) regulating the receipt of funding from tobacco companies. Please review the Gillings Policy on Receiving Funds from Tobacco Companies for more information.
Have you been asked to sign a contract?
Please note: Principal Investigators, faculty, staff, and departments are not authorized to sign agreements on behalf of the University. All incoming and outgoing contracts- of any type- should be submitted through ALICE. Need help navigating the ALICE system and submission process? Additional guidance can be found here.
The UNC Office of Industry Contracting
The Office of Industry Contracting (OIC) within the UNC Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research is responsible for reviewing and executing sponsored research agreements with private industry, including clinical trial agreements and subcontracts, among others. OIC also negotiates and executes all (industry, federal or other party) Confidentiality Agreements (CDAs and NDAs) and Data Use Agreements for the entire UNC-CH campus.
OIC has been delegated signature authority on behalf of the Vice Chancellor for Research to sign agreements related to research and thereby bind the institution to the terms and conditions contained therein.
Gillings recently released its Guiding Principles for Considering Gift and Grant Agreements with Companies (approved June, 2017).
Gillings researchers may be interested in reviewing the University Policy on Signing Contracts- Signature Delegation Chart (updated August 11, 2017).
Need assistance with industry contracts?
The UNC Office of Clinical Trials and Office of Industry Contracting will be available to answer questions about your current or proposed research projects every 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month during “pop ups”- no appointment necessary!
The resources linked to below may provide useful guidance for Gillings researchers conducting work abroad.
- UNC Gillings Office of Research, Innovation and Global Solutions Global Travel Toolkit
- United States Department of Health and Human Services International Compilation of Human Research Standards (2018)
- NIH Aggregation of Clinical Research Regulations from Around the Globe
- UNC Policy on Export Controls
The Gillings School has brought together various pieces of descriptive information about central resources and facilities that researchers may use as they prepare grant applications. The UNC Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) has also developed resources to help researchers with proposal development and submission.
- OSR Information Sheet for Proposal Development
- National Science Foundation Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG) (recently updated!)
- Academic Researchers’ Guide for Community Engaged Research
- Proposal Development & Submission Policies and Procedures
- GIS and Data Services at Davis Library
- Carolina Survey Research Laboratory
- The Odum Institute
- UNC Writing Center
- NC TraCS Grant Application Review
Be sure to speak with your departmental HR consultant regarding any new positions or hires that you are considering during the proposal development stage.
Do you need general information about UNC or Gillings facilities and resources for your grant? Select the links below to download Word documents with commonly used language for standard components of grant applications.
- Animal Facilities Boilerplate (Updated March 2016)
- Computing Resources Boilerplate (Updated January 2016)
- Gillings School Introduction Boilerplate (Updated Feb. 2017)
- Laboratory Facilities Boilerplate (Updated January 2016)
- Library Facilities Boilerplate (Updated January 2016)
- Research Computing Boilerplate (Updated March 2016)
Below is a list of suggested places to start for researchers who are beginning to think about disseminating their work.
If you have a story about your research, scholarship or service experiences that might be interesting to the media or that should be featured on our website please contact David Pesci, Director of Communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-962-2600.
Journal Impact Factors
Journal impact factors are published annually in Thomson Reuters’ Journal Citation Reports (JCR). A journal impact factor is a “measure of the frequency with which the ‘average article’ in a journal has been cited in a particular year or period.” JCR calculates the impact factor of a journal by dividing the number of current year citations to the source items published in that journal during the previous two years. Journal Citation Reports are available online.
Other University Resources
The Communication for Health Applications and Interventions (CHAI) Core provides graphic design and database development services, among others.
UNC Design Services provides graphic design services to UNC-Chapel Hill as part of the University’s integrated marketing plan.
Please contact the individuals listed below to obtain descriptive information about each department’s respective facilities and resources.
Contact: Evie McKee
Carolina Survey Research Laboratory
Contact: Robert Agans
Center for Environmental Health & Susceptibility
Contact: Rhonda Turner
Collaborative Studies Coordinating Center
Contact: Carolyn Hagy
Environmental Sciences & Engineering
Contact: Doris Dworschak
Contact: Vicki Moore
Contact: Marcia Margotta
Health Policy & Management
Contact: Terri Gault
Maternal & Child Health
Contact: Lisa Perry
Contact: Chris Anderson
Public Health Leadership Program
Contact: Kathryn Cheek