Certificate in Occupational Health Nursing (POHN)
This is an academic program of graduate study entailing 11-12 credits in coursework specially developed for online education. All credits earned are completely transferable as part of the requirements for the completion of the OHN Concentration MPH degree. Students will be able to register, receive materials, interact with faculty and successfully complete this program while only traveling to campus once for eight days. Online certificates are available to any interested student NOT currently enrolled at UNC-Chapel Hill. After viewing the GPS overview, see our Occupational Health Nursing Certificate partner page for additional information.
12 11 or 12
Online + campus visit(s)
Fall; Spring You may apply for spring 2018 admission between 9/1/2017 - 11/3/2017. You may apply for fall 18 between 1/5/2018 - 5/4/2018. See Application Details page for more info.
November 3, 2017 You may apply for spring 2018 admission between 9/1/2017 - 11/3/2017. You may apply for fall 18 between 1/5/2018 - 5/4/2018. See Application Details page for more info.
RNs who wish to strengthen their knowledge and expertise of occupational health wherever they may practice - in the U.S. and/or internationally.
- Total Enrollment 1620
- Female 72%, Male 28%
- Underrepresented Minority Students 16.3%
- International 11%
Program Costs & Funding
- Tuition and fee information can be found on the University Cashier website. Gillings School of Global Public Health tuition and fees for the 2018-2019 academic year can be found on pages 7, 8 and 9.
- Compare the cost of living at UNC and surrounding areas with other comparison schools.
- Learn about the funding opportunities from the UNC Graduate School, the UNC Gillings Financial Aid page, and the UNC Office of Scholarship & Student Aid.
Current RN licensure. Most students will have a BSN or higher. Applicants with Associate's degree or certification in their field and experience comparable to RN may be considered.
School-wide: Incoming students had a mean undergraduate GPA of 3.5
2 (academic and/or professional; at least one academic)
Yes At least 2 years nursing experience is required. Experience in occupational health nursing or in occupational health and safety is preferred, but public health nursing, emergency nursing, or a related field may also be considered.
Learn about opportunities to come to UNC Gillings to meet faculty, staff, and current students. If you are unable to come to campus – don’t worry – our representatives attend a variety of recruitment events around the United States as well as host virtual fairs and webinars.
During the Program
For a detailed description of all the requirements for this degree program please click here for the Student Handbook.
No comprehensive exams
The UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health strives to integrate global content and approaches across the School’s courses, programs and degrees. We believe that every student should emerge from our School with an understanding of global health issues. Some courses are focused largely on global issues, others are designed so that global and local issues are intertwined and some still are evolving. Learn more about these options.
NOTE: Certificate students don’t have opportunity for global study outside courses comprising program.
After the Program
Manager of Occupational Health Services; Occupational Health Nurse; Senior Associate I; Wellness Care Management RN
Develop Occupational Health services; develop health promotion and protection programs; implement health surveillance programs
Complete online applicationMoreLess
- Application Deadline: November 3, 2017
- Fee: 0
- Step Link
(The Graduate School Application is a common application system for UNC-Chapel Hill programs.)
See program details in GPS for requirements such as prequisites, prior degree, work experience, any test score waivers, as well as a tuition estimate and program overview.
Applicant information, including North Carolina residency information.
- Please upload a copy of your most recent transcript(s), including your current term grades, if applicable. (If grades are not yet available, send them to the UNC Gillings program contact as soon as they become available.) Be sure the transcript reflects the name of the institution and any degrees you received.
You will be asked about honor code, crime, academic sanction, military discharge, etc.
Upload your personal statement.
- Upload a document that answers the following questions (no more than 2 pages).
- Describe your occupational health nursing experience and career goals.
- How do you anticipate applying what you learn in the program to your future work?
- How do you believe this program will help you meet your career goals?
- Describe your interest in a distance-learning based program.
Upload your resume or CV.
Enter names of recommenders. UNC will then send them an email with instructions for submitting a letter on your behalf. We encourage references from professors or teachers (or teaching assistants) or work/research supervisors who have worked directly and closely with you and who can speak about you with specificity.
- optional note 2
Document submission (check legibility of uploads)
Track your progress.
- You will be able to track status through the Graduate School application. Once a decision is made, you will receive an email instructing login to the Graduate School application portal to see the decision letter.
FYI: application review processMoreLess
SPH application review:
- No interview required.
- You will be notified via email regarding program decision.