Note: This certificate is currently not being offered. Please send an email to Cindy Reilly if you would like to be contacted when more information is available.
The Public Health Leadership Program offers an online Certificate in Global Health for working health professionals around the world. The Online Global Health Certificate is a formal academic certificate for non-degree seeking students that examines the complexities inherent in improving health on a global scale.
PHLP has long recognized the challenges which health leaders face throughout the world. It is uniquely positioned through its educational experience and successes in online leadership education not only to meet these challenges but to treat them as opportunities for improving leadership skills of a broader population of worldwide leaders and for training domestic students in the challenges that leaders face on a global basis.
This interdisciplinary Online Global Health Certificate, which was developed in partnership with the Office of Global Health (OGH), strengthens the global health competencies and abilities of healthcare practitioners throughout North Carolina, the nation and the world. It is patterned after and built upon the highly successful residential Graduate Certificate in Global Health offered by the OGH and the highly successful online certificates and Master’s degrees offered by PHLP.
Specific goals of the Online Global Health Certificate:
- Expand the global focus of students and professionals in North Carolina, the US and internationally, and specifically improve their skills to address global health issues;
- Develop a collaborative learning approach to sharing the knowledge of global leaders and practitioners with Certificate participants;
- Share knowledge on the causes and solutions to global health issues to benefit the changing populations of North Carolina, the United States and worldwide.
The curriculum for the Online Global Health Certificate will include three courses totaling 9 graduate credit hours:
- PUBH 711 Critical Issues in Global Health: This course explores contemporary issues, problems, and controversies in global health through an interdisciplinary perspective; examines the complex tapestry of social, economic, political, and environmental factors that affect global health; analyzes global health disparities through a social justice and human rights lens; and exposes students to opportunities in global health work and research. This course is a prerequisite for all other courses in the Online Global Health Certificate Program.
- PUBH 712 Global Health Ethics: This course will introduce students to the theoretical and practical aspects of public health ethics and develop students’ analytical skills to evaluate ethical issues related to public health policy, prevention, treatment, and research. Topics include: ethical reasoning; concepts of justice; principles of interacting with communities; professional conduct and research. Prerequisite: PUBH 711.
- PUBH 714 Monitoring and Evaluation of Global Health Programs: This course covers the fundamental concepts and tools for monitoring and evaluation of public health programs such as for HIV/AIDS/STDs, maternal health, reproductive health, child health, environment, and nutrition. Basic concepts and practices in M&E will be covered such as performance monitoring, impact evaluation, indicators, information systems, data collection methods, evaluation designs, strategic information in decision making, and communicating results to policy makers. Prerequisite: PUBH 711.
- Bachelor’s degree (or international equivalent) required;
- Resume or CV including relevant global health or public health work experience (minimum of 3-5 years preferred);
- Statement of Purpose;
- Transcripts (official or unofficial) required for your highest degree earned and relevant completed coursework. Please indicate degree and date received. Also include transcripts that demonstrate any relevant coursework for quantitative competencies;
- TOEFL scores (within past five years) for international applicants.
The website is being updated and format changes are being implemented to the Online Global Health Certificate. Please note that there are limited spaces available in the program. Thus, applying early will provide a better opportunity for admission.
If you have problems with the online form, please contact your academic coordinator.
For more information regarding tuition rates, please consult the UNC Finance Office‘s tuition rates document (see Off-campus Programs tuition rates). Please note that the certificate programs do not qualify for financial aid at UNC-CH.
- I Am Because We Are: Interrelated Realities January 22 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Mental Health First Aid Training January 24 @ 8:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Connect, Engage, Transform: Rural Community Partnerships January 24 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm