Departmental resources for current students are available here.
Program Handbooks and Resources
Program handbooks are intended to guide students throughout their coursework and graduate studies within the Department. Please reference these guidebooks throughout your time here. The year for each handbook correlates with the year that you began the program.
Student Services Resources
Below are some important resources for student success:
Incoming Student Resources
The fastest way to resolve any technology issues with Campus Solutions is to file a Help ticket online.
For policy or process questions, contact the UNC functional office directly:
- Student Billing
- Financial Aid
- Student Records (including access), Registration, Drop/Add, Transcripts, etc. — University Registrar
- Undergraduate Admissions
- Graduate Admissions
Complete your FAFSA as soon as possible (after you complete your taxes). You will then be in the UNC Financial Aid system for consideration for applicable scholarships based on the determined unmet need.
Review the information posted by the UNC Graduate School for applicable funding opportunities.
- Academic Calendar
- Academic Calendar MPH@UNC
- Enrolled Student Resources from Gillings: Important schoolwide resources for students who are currently enrolled. This page can direct you to: Submit a Concern, Academic Support, University Resources, Room Reservations & AV Equipment, Funding, Diversity, Wellness & Safety
- Graduate School Forms
- Gillings Academic Forms and Policies
- Inter-institutional Registration Form (fillable PDF): Duke University, North Carolina Central University, North Carolina State University
- Learning Center
- MPH Practicum Database
- MPH@UNC website
- Student Conduct & Honor Code
- UNC Chapel Hill Registrar
- UNC Catalog – full catalog or use the Course Catalog Search Tool
- Writing Center
- Accessibility Resources & Services
- Carolina Cupboard – Community food pantry on campus
- Campus Health & Student Health Insurance
- Counseling & Psychological Services
- Gillings Student Feedback and Equity Concerns
- North Carolina Residency Information & Application
- Students Organizations – See how you can get involved with the Gillings community on and off campus
- Student Wellness
- Virtual Student Engagement – Check out virtual engagement opportunities
- Carrboro Farmers’ Market (Saturday morning, Wednesday afternoon)
- Chapel Hill Farmers’ Market (Saturday morning, Tuesday afternoon, Thursday midday)
- Chapel Hill Transit – bus routes around Chapel Hill
- Durham Farmers’ Marke t(Saturday morning, Wednesday afternoon)
- Independent Weekly Food: Pick out some of the trendy new restaurants and go on a culinary tour!
- Independent Weekly Music: Chapel Hill and the surrounding areas bring talented musicians and bands from around the world. See who’s coming to town!
- Town of Carrboro Resources
- Town of Chapel Hill Resources
- Triangle Area Resources: This guide from the Department contains useful links on transportation, family/local resources and parks in the area.
- Weaver Street Market: A popular hangout spot for locals and students that often has live music on the lawn
Jobs and Professional Development
- Career Services
- FERPA Reference Release – when asking faculty or staff for a reference student must authorize the release of information from their education records. Complete and sign the form and provide to your reference.
- Handshake – login with your onyen to access job & internship postings and recruiting events, workshops and more
- Professional Development Resources from the Graduate School
- Public Health Leadership Student Association Alumni Panel Nov. 2020 (View recording.)
- Public Health Leadership Student Association Service Panel Apr. 2021 (View recording.)
Funding Sources and Related Tips
Review resources on the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health website. (Please note that the availability of teaching assistants and research assistants are very limited in the Public Health Leadership Program and are not known until August.)
Visit the Gillings Awards, Funding and Financial Aid page for more information on Scholarship and Fellowships, Emergency Funding Resources, Employment, Loans, Research, Teaching, External Award Opportunities and Other Support
Subscribe to the UNC Graduate School Funding listserv.
Develop your personalized search and related alerts using the various funding databases and noted contacts, some are provided below.
The Graduate and Professional Student Government offers funding for student organizations, departments/programs, and individuals under various circumstances (including travel and emergency support).
The Student Emergency Fund is available to students when they need assistance with unexpected, unforeseen, and unavoidable emergency expenses.
Public Health Leadership Awards
Rachel Stevens Scholarship for Public Health Leadership (established in 2004) is a one-year scholarship of up to $1,000. The award is available for incoming and currently enrolled graduate students in the Public Health Leadership Program in the Gillings School of Global Public Health who are committed to leadership in the field of public health practice. Preference is given to students who have completed approximately one-third of their degree requirements and demonstrated a commitment to continued practice and service in the field of public health practice. This award is presented in the spring. Recipients may be awarded a second year of funding.
Selection will be based on the applicant’s demonstrated commitment and a minimum of five years of experience in the field of public health practice; leadership skills and academic excellence. Financial need will also be considered.
Association of North Carolina Boards of Health (ANCBH) Scholarship in Public Health Leadership
One named for: Vaughn Upshaw
One named for: Robert Blackburn
Purpose: To recognize a resident of North Carolina who, like Dr. Vaughn Upshaw, demonstrates leadership in public health.
One-year scholarship of $1,000 will be available for graduate students in the Public Health Leadership Program in the Gillings School of Global Public Health, established in the 2009-2010 academic year (Upshaw) and established in the 2018-2019 academic year (Blackburn). These awards are presented annually in the Spring to an outstanding graduate student in the Public Health Leadership Program. to recognize the important needs of educating public health practitioners in local health departments and the important role of local boards of health. The PHLP has demonstrated its focus on this mission through the growth and documented quality of its very successful Masters of Public Health degree program over the years resulting in many graduates of the Program who are employed by local public health departments throughout North Carolina.
Selection will be based on the applicant’s demonstrated commitment to local public health agencies, leadership skills, academic excellence, and contributions to North Carolina.
Graduate Funding Information Center (GFIC)
The UNC Graduate Funding Information Center is a resource for those seeking information on funding sources for independent research, collaborative projects, fellowships, program development, and other scholarly activities. You can email the GFIC for hands-on, individual help.
Research at Carolina: Internal Funding Opportunities database
The Carolina Internal Funding Database provides information on internal sources of funds available from UNC-Chapel Hill.
Graduate Students Funding Sources from the UNC Global Education Center
Search the UNC Global Education Center website for funding resources for international study and research.
SPH Laptop Policy
We want you to be aware that the School requires all Gillings students to own a laptop that meets campus minimum requirements.