Carolina PROSPER and other COVID-19 Resources
COVID-19 Educational Webinars
Four-Part Wellness Series during the Pandemic: (Please complete this quick survey when you complete a webinar.)
- “Better Sleep for Health and Well-Being” View Recording, View Slides (PPT)
- “Strategies for Improving Your Mood and Reducing Anxiety” View Recording, View Slides (PPT)
- “Creating a Positive Workplace for Employee Mental Health” View Recording, View Slides (PPT)
- “Getting and Giving Social Support” View Recording, View Slides (PPT)
3-Part THRIVE Series for Organizational and Business Leadership
Dr. Bahby Banks, CEO, Pillar Consulting
- REFLECT Wednesday (Wednesday, January 27, Noon-1 p.m. EST)
- REALIGN Wednesday (Wednesday, February 3, Noon-1 p.m. EST)
- RENEW Wednesday (Wednesday, February 10, Noon-1 p.m. EST)
CAROLINA PROSPER: PROMOTING SAFE PRACTICES FOR EMPLOYEES’ RETURN TO WORK
Assisting North Carolina Businesses to Survive the Pandemic and Thrive Over Time
Who we are: Carolina PROSPER is a research study of the North Carolina Occupational Safety and Health Education and Research Center, a National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health-funded, regional education and research center that is part of the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health.
What we are doing during COVID-19: We are a research study partnering with small- and medium-sized businesses to assess their safety and health needs using a variety of tools, provide technical assistance and support for implementing a wide array of programs, practices, and policy strategies, and will assist businesses in developing evidence-based roadmaps for a safe and healthy operation for all working North Carolinians.
What types of services can we provide: Between now and December 31, 2020, the Carolina PROSPER research study has funding to provide free assistance to a select number of participating small- to medium-sized businesses who want help on re-opening in a safe and healthy way for their workers.
WE WANT YOU TO BECOME A CAROLINA PROSPER BUSINESS SITE!
Carolina PROSPER is currently recruiting up to 10 local small-to medium-sized businesses to be partner sites for our research study for the fall of 2020. Our interdisciplinary team of experts in industrial hygiene, occupational safety and health, and health education/health promotion wants to support and learn from North Carolina’s businesses. Research partner sites will receive free COVID-related safety and health technical assistance, including but not limited to:
- Full engagement with managers and employees to further assess and prioritize safety and health needs and interests.
- Assessment of efficacy of cleaning and disinfection protocols for the SARS-CoV-2 virus and help train employees to improve your protocols.
- Tailored, evidence-based interventions on risk mitigation plans, educational materials and trainings, and technical assistance and support.
Our team uses a Total Worker Health® approach for providing technical assistance. You will receive specific policies, programs, and practices that integrate protection from work-related safety and health hazards with promotion of injury and illness prevention efforts to advance worker well-being in this research study.
Partnership is only available through the end of 2020. If you are interested in participating in this research study, please contact us today at email@example.com or complete our Carolina PROSPER Partnership Form.
We Want To Hear From You: Carolina PROSPER’s COVID-19 Worksite Impact Survey
The COVID-19 pandemic presents many challenges for businesses, including here in central North Carolina. Please fill out our survey to help PROSPER learn about your business’s current workplace safety, health, and well-being needs and interests during this pandemic.
Participating businesses will receive free COVID-related informational resources. If interested, your business may also be selected to receive free safety and health technical assistance tailored for your business. By sharing your business’s experiences, you will help us support health and safety for business owners and workers across the state.
CAROLINA PROSPER ADVISORY BOARD
- Kevin Beauregard, CSP, CPM – Director of the Occupational Safety and Health Division, NC Department of Labor
- Dr. Gialana Dang, DrPH, CPH (they/them/theirs), Occupational Epidemiologist, Principal Investigator, NC Occupational Health Surveillance Program
- Robert M. Gilmore – Human Services Supervisor, AA, BS-Health Care Management, SOAR, BESP; Employment Services Operations/NCWORKS Career Center; SSI/SSDI Outreach, Access And Recovery (SOAR)-Supervisor Certified; Business And Employers Services Professional (BESP, Certified); Orange County Department of Social Services; US Army Medical Department, Retired MSG
- Dr. Shawn Kneipp, PhD, RN, ANP, APHN-BC, FAANP – Professor, UNC School of Nursing
- Carolyn Naseer, MA – Co-Founder, My Change Agent
- Aaron Martin Nelson, IOM – President and CEO, The Chamber For a Greater Chapel Hill-Carrboro
- Kevin J. Price, MBA, MHA – President and CEO, NC Institute of Minority Economic Development
- Quintana Stewart, MPA – Health Director, Orange County Public Health Department
- Douglas W. Urland, MPA – Director, NC Institute for Public Health
- Dr. Iulia Vann, MD, MPH – Health Director, Guilford County Public Health Department
- Mike Zelek, MPH – Interim Health Director, Chatham County Public Health Department
Recent COVID-19 Webinars
Archive slides of five-part COVID-19 Respiratory Protection Webinar Series
Session 1. Donning and Doffing N95 Filtering Facepiece Respirators and Related Topics (PDF) March 3, 2020
Session 2. Current Issues Relating to Respiratory Protection SARS-CoV-2 (PDF) April 7, 2020
Session 3. Current Issues Relating to Respiratory Protection SARS-CoV-2 (PDF) April 16, 2020
Session 4. Current Issues Relating to Respiratory Protection SARS-CoV-2 (PDF) May 5, 2020
Recent Media Interviews and Presentations by the PROSPER Team:
Dr. Leena Nylander-French: Carolina PROSPER offers help to businesses ready to reopen safely amid COVID-19 pandemic (ABC11 News)
Dr. John Staley: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: Return to the Worksite (Go Triangle)
Dr. John Staley: Total Worker Health® During a Pandemic: The Carolina PROSPER Project. Part of the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Expanding Research Partnerships: Webinar Series 2020. September 2, 2020
- Carolina PROSPER Resources Report (PDF) provides COVID-related occupational safety and health resources and information for NC businesses on getting employees tested, encouraging healthy behaviors, helping maintain mental health, promoting overall health, leveraging ergonomic resources at home, implementing infection control, disinfecting your work environment, improving ventilation and vaccination.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website provides information for businesses and workplaces about how to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and what to do if you or someone you know gets sick.
- NC OSHERC COVID-19 Respiratory Protection Webinars provide important respiratory protection safety information on proper use and current issues during COVID-19.
- N.C. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) provides COVID-19 information, as well as information specific to businesses and employers.
- Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists (CSTE) Emergency Preparedness and Response Resource provides a variety of outbreak investigation and contact tracing resources.
- The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) provides COVID-19 related information for the workplace and general information on training modules related to Total Worker Health (TWH).
- The N.C. Department of Labor website includes industry-specific resources from AIHA, OSHA, CDC and NCDHHS.
North Carolina Occupational Safety and Health Education and Research Center
Gillings School of Global Public Health
Join our mailing list via our website at https://osherc.sph.unc.edu.