Carolina PROSPER and other COVID-19 Resources
COVID-19 Educational Webinars
COVID-19 and the Workplace
Please join the North Carolina Occupational Safety and Health Education and Research Center and the WisCon On Site Safety and Health Consultation Program for the first in a series of 1 hour webinars designed to help small businesses as they plan to move forward and beyond the COVID-19 pandemic.
A Safer Return for Small Employers
Wednesday, June 2
1 – 2 p.m. ET (11 a.m. – noon MT)
Co-sponsored by the Center for Health, Work and Environment at the Colorado School of Public Health; and NC OSHERC at the Gillings School of Global Public Health at UNC-Chapel Hill
Four-Part Wellness Series during the Pandemic: (Please complete this quick survey when you complete a webinar.)
- “Better Sleep for Health and Well-Being” View Recording, View Slides (PPT)
- “Strategies for Improving Your Mood and Reducing Anxiety” View Recording, View Slides (PPT)
- “Creating a Positive Workplace for Employee Mental Health” View Recording, View Slides (PPT)
- “Getting and Giving Social Support” View Recording, View Slides (PPT)
3-Part THRIVE Series for Organizational and Business Leadership
Dr. Bahby Banks, CEO, Pillar Consulting
- REFLECT Wednesday (Wednesday, January 27, Noon-1 p.m. EST)
- REALIGN Wednesday (Wednesday, February 3, Noon-1 p.m. EST)
- RENEW Wednesday (Wednesday, February 10, Noon-1 p.m. EST)
CAROLINA PROSPER: PROMOTING SAFE PRACTICES FOR EMPLOYEES’ RETURN TO WORK
Assisting North Carolina Businesses to Survive the Pandemic and Thrive Over Time
The Carolina Prosper Study is now Closed to New Applicants
Information on the Carolina PROSPER STUDY that ended in December 2020:
Who we are: Carolina PROSPER was a research study of the North Carolina Occupational Safety and Health Education and Research Center, a National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health-funded, regional education and research center that is part of the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health.
What we did during COVID-19: We partnered with small- and medium-sized businesses to assess their safety and health needs using a variety of tools, provide technical assistance and support for implementing a wide array of programs, practices, and policy strategies, and assisted businesses in developing evidence-based roadmaps for a safe and healthy operation for all working North Carolinians.
The Carolina Prosper study is now closed but we still want to partner with your business!
Carolina PROSPER assisted several small-to medium-sized businesses in North Carolina during the COVID-19 pandemic. Though the PROSPER study is complete, NC OSHERC is available to provide your business with guidance and technical assistance from our interdisciplinary team of experts in industrial hygiene, occupational safety and health, and health education/health promotion on a fee-for-service basis.
Our team uses a Total Worker Health® approach for providing technical assistance. We can help you develop specific policies, programs, and practices that integrate protection from work-related safety and health hazards with promotion of injury and illness prevention efforts to advance worker well-being in this research study.
If you are interested in assistance, please contact Dr. John Staley, our Outreach and Continuing Education Director at email@example.com
CAROLINA PROSPER ADVISORY BOARD
A special thanks to all members of our advisory board that provided key insights and guidance throughout our study!!!
- Kevin Beauregard, CSP, CPM – Director of the Occupational Safety and Health Division, NC Department of Labor
- Dr. Gialana Dang, DrPH, CPH (they/them/theirs), Occupational Epidemiologist, Principal Investigator, NC Occupational Health Surveillance Program
- Robert M. Gilmore – Human Services Supervisor, AA, BS-Health Care Management, SOAR, BESP; Employment Services Operations/NCWORKS Career Center; SSI/SSDI Outreach, Access And Recovery (SOAR)-Supervisor Certified; Business And Employers Services Professional (BESP, Certified); Orange County Department of Social Services; US Army Medical Department, Retired MSG
- Dr. Shawn Kneipp, PhD, RN, ANP, APHN-BC, FAANP – Professor, UNC School of Nursing
- Carolyn Naseer, MA – Co-Founder, My Change Agent
- Aaron Martin Nelson, IOM – President and CEO, The Chamber For a Greater Chapel Hill-Carrboro
- Kevin J. Price, MBA, MHA – President and CEO, NC Institute of Minority Economic Development
- Quintana Stewart, MPA – Health Director, Orange County Public Health Department
- Douglas W. Urland, MPA – Director, NC Institute for Public Health
- Dr. Iulia Vann, MD, MPH – Health Director, Guilford County Public Health Department
- Mike Zelek, MPH – Interim Health Director, Chatham County Public Health Department
Recent COVID-19 Webinars
Archive slides of five-part COVID-19 Respiratory Protection Webinar Series
Session 1. Donning and Doffing N95 Filtering Facepiece Respirators and Related Topics (PDF) March 3, 2020
Session 2. Current Issues Relating to Respiratory Protection SARS-CoV-2 (PDF) April 7, 2020
Session 3. Current Issues Relating to Respiratory Protection SARS-CoV-2 (PDF) April 16, 2020
Session 4. Current Issues Relating to Respiratory Protection SARS-CoV-2 (PDF) May 5, 2020
Recent Media Interviews and Presentations by the PROSPER Team:
Dr. Leena Nylander-French: Carolina PROSPER offers help to businesses ready to reopen safely amid COVID-19 pandemic (ABC11 News)
Dr. John Staley: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: Return to the Worksite (Go Triangle)
Dr. John Staley: Total Worker Health® During a Pandemic: The Carolina PROSPER Project. Part of the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Expanding Research Partnerships: Webinar Series 2020. September 2, 2020
- Carolina PROSPER Resources Report (PDF) provides COVID-related occupational safety and health resources and information for NC businesses on getting employees tested, encouraging healthy behaviors, helping maintain mental health, promoting overall health, leveraging ergonomic resources at home, implementing infection control, disinfecting your work environment, improving ventilation and vaccination.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website provides information for businesses and workplaces about how to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and what to do if you or someone you know gets sick.
- NC OSHERC COVID-19 Respiratory Protection Webinars provide important respiratory protection safety information on proper use and current issues during COVID-19.
- N.C. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) provides COVID-19 information, as well as information specific to businesses and employers.
- Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists (CSTE) Emergency Preparedness and Response Resource provides a variety of outbreak investigation and contact tracing resources.
- The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) provides COVID-19 related information for the workplace and general information on training modules related to Total Worker Health (TWH).
- The N.C. Department of Labor website includes industry-specific resources from AIHA, OSHA, CDC and NCDHHS.
North Carolina Occupational Safety and Health Education and Research Center
Gillings School of Global Public Health
Join our mailing list via our website at https://osherc.sph.unc.edu.