The UNC Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC) provides support and expertise to scientists studying the role of nutrition and obesity in public health.
Our center is one of 11 centers in the country funded by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases that is specifically designed to enhance the efficiency, productivity, effectiveness and multidisciplinary nature of nutrition and obesity-related research.
Since the NORC’s inception in 1999, the Center has facilitated the development and transfer of cutting-edge research from the laboratory to the general public for a wide range of research studies.
The goals of the UNC NORC are to:
- Provide resources and support to investigators conducting multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary research in nutritional sciences and obesity;
- Enhance the impact and presence of nutrition and obesity research at UNC;
- Strengthen clinical nutrition training programs for medical students, practicing physicians and allied health personnel; and
- Translate findings from obesity and nutrition research to the general public to use to improve their overall health and well-being.
Message from the Co-Director
“Our ultimate goal as a research center is to encourage and facilitate increased, cost-effective, collaboration among multidisciplinary groups of investigators conducting nutrition and obesity-related research studies."Read more about Dr. Zeisel.
Our Central Themes
Our research is organized around five central themes:
- The Causes and Prevention of Obesity
- Clinical Nutrition and Chronic Diseases in Populations
- Metabolic Responses, Metabolic Variation and Requirements for Nutrients
- Nutritional Interventions and Nutrition Behaviors
- Pregnancy, Child Growth and Development
Our Research Cores, Labs and Support Programs
The Center provides supports to nutrition and obesity investigators through a variety of research cores, labs and support programs:
- Administrative Core
- Metabolomics and Exposome Core
- Animal Metabolism Phenotyping Core
- Nutritional Genomics and Microbiome Core
- Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy Lab
- Clinical and Community Assessment and Intervention Core:
- Intervention Sub-Core
- Behavioral Assessment Sub-Core
- Clinical Intervention
NIH Extends Funding for the UNC Nutrition Obesity Research Center through Second Decade
NORC Services Can Be Ordered Through iLAB
- UNC FallFest August 18 @ 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Gillings Welcome and Orientation: New BSPH, PhD and other Master's Students (non-MPH) August 19 @ 8:30 am - 2:00 pm
- Gillings School Volunteer Night at IFC Community Kitchen August 19 @ 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm