Management and Supervision for Public Health Professionals
Spring 2022 Course
Course dates, registration and more information coming soon!
Course Fee: $715
Do you desire to be a more effective manager but need some training or skill development? This is the course that will provide you what you need to get through the day-to-day challenges and hopefully make your move into management smoother and more successful!
The content of this course is applicable for all managers and supervisors working in local health departments including those new to their position (less than 2 years), experienced managers and supervisors with little or no formal supervisory training, and those aspiring to be promoted to a role in public health management. The curriculum and format of the Management and Supervision course were redesigned in 2017 to offer more interactive sessions, experiential learning activities, and breakout sessions for you to choose from based on your individual preferences along with the creation of individualized development plans.
The course is offered once a year. Sessions will be held on Tuesdays from 1 to 4pm 2-3 times a month.
- NC Institute for Public Health, Gillings School of Global Public Health, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Public Health Nursing and Professional Development Unit, NC Development Unit, NC Division of Public Health, Department of Health and Human Services
This public health training is designed to address the needs of nurses, assistant health directors, environmental health specialists, social workers, nutritionists, laboratory personnel, administrative officers and health educators working in local NC public health agencies.
The Management and Supervision course curriculum will help prepare local public health managers and supervisors to effectively communicate, delegate and manage departmental priorities. Sessions topics include:
- Building Successful Teams
- Performance Management and Personnel Law
- Effective Communication Techniques
- Leading Change in Your Organization
- Practices of Exemplary Leadership
- Conflict Management Skills for the Workplace
Continuing Education Units have been applied for through the William and Ida Friday Center for Continuing Education.