Management and Supervision for Public Health Professionals
Week One: March 12-16, 2018
Week Two: April 16-20, 2018
Hampton Inn & Suites, Carrboro NC
Do you desire to be a more effective manager but need some training or skill development? This is the course that will provide you what you need to get through the day-to-day challenges and hopefully make your move into management smoother and more successful!
The content of this course is applicable for all managers and supervisors working in local health departments including those new to their position (less than 2 years), experienced managers and supervisors with little or no formal supervisory training, and those aspiring to be promoted to a role in public health management. The curriculum and format of the Management and Supervision course were redesigned in 2017 to offer more interactive sessions, experiential learning activities, and breakout sessions for you to choose from based on your individual preferences along with the creation of individualized development plans.
The course is offered once a year. Each offering consists of two one-week on-site sessions with a three-week break between sessions.
- NC Institute for Public Health, Gillings School of Global Public Health, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Public Health Nursing and Professional Development Unit, NC Development Unit, NC Division of Public Health, Department of Health and Human Services
The target audience for this training includes assistant health directors, registered nurses, environmental health specialists, social workers, nutritionists, laboratory personnel, administrative officers, and health educators working in local NC public health agencies.
The Management and Supervision course curriculum with help prepare local public health managers and supervisors to effectively communicate, delegate and manage departmental priorities. Sessions topics include:
- Building Successful Teams
- Performance Management and Personnel Law
- Effective Communication Techniques
- Leading Change in Your Organization
- Self-Care for Busy Professionals
- Conflict Management and Resolution
The program will be held at the Hampton Inn & Suites, 370 East Main St, Carrboro, NC. Overnight rooms are also available on-site as noted below:
Week 1: Monday March 12-Friday March 16, 2018
- Special rate: $134
- To reserve a room online please visit chapelhillcarrborosuites.hamptoninn.com and use the Group Code MG1.
- To reserve a room by phone call the hotel directly at 919-969-6988 and provide the Group Code MG1.
- To receive the special rate reservations must be made no later than February 19, 2018.
Week 2: Monday April 16- Friday April 20, 2018.
- Special rate of $134.
- To reserve a room online please visit chapelhillcarrborosuites.hamptoninn.com and use the Group Code MG2.
- To reserve a room by phone call the hotel directly at 919-969-6988 and provide the Group Code MG2.
- To receive the special rate reservations must be made no later than April 1, 2018.
The rate for each week includes a full deluxe hot breakfast, parking and Wi-Fi.
Fees: $625 per person for the full course (includes both weeks) – due by February 19, 2018.
Remit payments electronically or via check to: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Attn: Registrar, Campus Box # 8165, Chapel Hill, NC 27599.
IMPORTANT: All registration fees must be postmarked no later than February 19, 2018 or your registration will be canceled.
Attendance at both weeks of training are required for successful completion. If you find that you cannot attend this course you must cancel no later than February 19, 2018. Any cancellation received after March 1 will be charged the full registration fee. All cancellations must be received in writing. You may send cancellations to Jackie McIver at email@example.com. Substitutions from the same organization are allowed up until March 1 with prior notification to firstname.lastname@example.org.