Ready to work with us? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn what we can do together!
Get regular updates through our mailing list!
Since 1999, the North Carolina Institute for Public Health (NCIPH) has served as a bridge between academia and public health practice partners including state and local public health agencies, healthcare and community organizations.
Although formally established in 1999, some of NCIPH’s core programs, particularly continuing education, began in the 1930s as a core function of public health at UNC-Chapel Hill.
With the mission of “creating systems, programs and policies that work for all,” NCIPH serves as a resource for public health professionals across the state, region and country.
NCIPH staff come from a diverse range of fields, including public health, medical sciences, GIS technology, and more. In 2009, NCIPH received the Partners in Public Health Distinguished Group Award from the North Carolina Public Health Association.
We are passionate and committed to the work of public health.
We believe in the quality of our work.
We believe in the value we provide to our partners.
We build capacity to create positive outcomes.
We believe in data-driven, evidence-based solutions and innovations.
We believe local context matters.
Our work is deeply rooted in collaborative partnership.
We believe our work is stronger when it includes multi-sector partners and perspectives.
We believe that public health brings a unique advantage to lead the way in improving population health.
We strive to support and serve all communities in North Carolina.
We believe in serving rural and underserved communities.
We believe that when we work outside NC, we bring home lessons learned to benefit our state.
We help bridge public health academics and practice.
We believe public health practitioners have knowledge and insight that drive solutions within their communities.
We believe UNC Gillings faculty, staff, and students bring outstanding knowledge, expertise, and tools to address public health challenges.
The North Carolina Institute for Public Health’s work is interdisciplinary and revolves around three core departments:
Workforce Training and Education
- NCIPH offers face-to-face courses, trainings and conferences for public health professionals.
- We also offer formal training in leadership development, business development, evidence-based public health, public health nursing and other topics.
Engagement and Collaboration
- Our highly-accomplished staff publishes and presents scholarly practice-based work.
- We link students to research projects and practica.
Community Assessment and Strategy
- We use cutting-edge methods and technology to implement community health assessments with local health departments and hospital systems.
- NCIPH serves as the administrator of the NC Local Health Department Accreditation Program on behalf of the NC Association of Local Health Directors.
- We provide data translation and innovative GIS and spatial mapping tools.
Collaboration is at the heart of NICPH’s work. As part of the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health, we value our relationships within the Gillings School and with diverse organizations across North Carolina and the country. NCIPH is a member of the National Network of Public Health Institutes.
Our clients and collaborators include government agencies, foundations, and nonprofit organizations:
- The Kate B. Reynolds Charitable Trust
- The Kresge Foundation
- National Association of County and City Health Officials
- National Network of Public Health Institutes
- New Hanover Regional Medical Center
- North Carolina Accreditation Board
- North Carolina Area Health Education Centers
- North Carolina Association of Local Boards of Health
- North Carolina Association of Local Health Directors
- North Carolina Citizens for Public Health
- North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Public Health
- North Carolina Public Health Association
- North Carolina Public Health Social Work Continuing Education and Training Advisory Committee
- Novant Health
Read the latest issue of Impact, our quarterly newsletter
Connect with NCIPH on LinkedIn