Sakai Lecture Capture Catalog Set-Up
This semester, the Instructional Technology Group is running a pilot in which recorded lectures can be delivered to a Sakai course and the only people who can see the recording are people enrolled in the Sakai course – even if a link is forwarded to someone not in the course. Making the link private to the class allows you to record students, to only provide ADA accommodations as requested, and to use copyrighted materials under academic fair use.
This page provides step-by-step instructions, in video and text format, for setting up a lecture capture catalog in your Sakai site. Please note that you must have 1) made a Lecture Capture Request, and 2) have asked to be part of the Sakai integration pilot, before this will work properly. See our Lecture Capture page for more information.
Instructions for setting up your lecture capture catalog in Sakai
- Go to your course’s Sakai site.
- In the left-side menu, click “Site Info.”
- In the horizontal menu that appears on this page, click the “Manage Tools” button.
- Find and check “External Tool” in the tool list, then click “Continue.”
- Name the tool “Recorded Lectures,” then click “Continue.” On the page that loads, click “Finish.”
- A new button will appear in the left-side menu of your course site with the name “Recorded Lectures.” Click “Recorded Lectures.”
- Click “Edit” (the pencil icon) in the upper right hand side of the page.
- In the “Remote Tool Url” field, enter: https://uncsph.mediasite.mcnc.org/mcnc/LTI/Catalog
- In the “Remote Tool Key” field, enter: gillings
- In the “Remote Tool Secret” field, enter: publichealth
- For “Button Text” and “Button Title,” enter “Recorded Lectures.”
- Check “Send Names to the External Tool”, “Send Email Addresses to the External Tool”, and “Allow the External Tool to retrieve the course roster”.
- Leave all other fields as is and click “Update Options” at the bottom of the screen.
- You should see a black background screen with a Gillings logo and the title “Sakai Catalog: [Your Course ID]”.
- Email email@example.com to notify the Instructional Technology Group that you have set up your catalog link. Provide the course ID as it appears in the catalog title.