How many credits can I register for each semester?

A minimum of 9 hours is required for a full-time student and the maximum is 16 hours. Overload requests must be approved by the Residential Master’s Program Director.

Can I receive credit towards my degree for courses taken at another university while I am enrolled at UNC?

Yes, under certain circumstances. Students registered for at least three credit hours at UNC-Chapel Hill may take and recoup credit for a maximum of two graduate-level courses (during a fall or spring term) or a maximum of one graduate-level course during a summer term at the following schools:

  • UNC-Greensboro
  • Duke University
  • UNC-Charlotte
  • North Carolina Central University
  • North Carolina State University

A student must complete a “Request for Inter-Institutional Registration” form from the University Registrar’s office. A student’s advisor must sign the form certifying certain qualifications. More information on Interinstitutional Registration is available here.

Can credits or grades transfer from other institutions?

Yes. Graduate students can transfer up to 20% of the credits required for the degree, subject to approval of the program and the Graduate School.

What grades are assigned for graduate courses?

The university uses a nontraditional grading scheme for graduate programs:

  • H = High Pass
  • P = Pass
  • L = Low Pass
  • F = Fail
  • F = Fail, administratively assigned
  • S = Satisfactory progress on research course, field training, thesis, and master’s paper
  • IN = Work incomplete (automatically becomes an F• within 12 months)
  • AB = Absent from final examination (automatically becomes an F• within 12 months)

Can I calculate a grade point average?

No official grade point average is calculated. However, an “internal” grade point average and class ranking is determined by the department solely for nominations to Delta Omega, the Public Health Honorary Society.

What grade do I need to maintain eligibility?

To pass a course, a student must receive at least a low pass (L) grade. No grade falling below an L is counted for graduate credit. A student who receives an F, or nine semester hours of L is ineligible to continue graduate study.

Do withdrawals show up on my transcript?

Not if you drop the class prior to the “last day for drops,” as established by the University Registrar – which is generally prior to the last two weeks of the semester. If you withdraw after the drop date, a W is displayed on your transcript. NOTE: Single course withdrawal (drop) differs from withdrawing from the University, which is required when ALL classes are dropped.

What can I expect when I graduate from the residential Master’s Program?

For experienced health care managers, the expected outcome of the program is advancement to a position with greater management responsibility. For those with more limited management experience, the intended outcome is a responsible health care management position; many students prefer to begin with a fellowship experience.

What is it like to live in Chapel Hill?

Try one of these links for more information:

Where can I learn more about housing in the area?

Try one of these links for housing information:

How can I get around Chapel Hill?

The bus system in Chapel Hill and Carrboro is convenient and free. For its schedule, as well as the schedule for the GoTriangle (e.g., bus to Raleigh, Durham, Research Triangle Park, or the airport), please check the following web sites:

Why should I establish North Carolina residency and how should I do that?

If you attend UNC, it is important that United States citizens (and those green-card holding permanent residents) establish North Carolina residency for tuition purposes as soon as possible. Becoming a North Carolina citizen will significantly reduce your cost of tuition. To do so, you will first need to:

  • Obtain a North Carolina driver’s license
  • Register your car in North Carolina
  • Register to vote in North Carolina

PLEASE NOTE: All of the above actions need to be done immediately upon arrival in Chapel Hill. These actions do NOT,  however, guarantee your classification as a North Carolina resident. You must submit a residency application. Detailed information is available at the University Registrar website.

What support is available for international students?

Students are required to check in at the University’s International Student and Scholar Services before classes begin. The Center provides resources and support for international students and their families.

Don’t see an answer to your question here? 

Residential Master’s Program Academic Coordinator
Office of Student Affairs

Mailing Address
Department of Health Policy and Management
School of Public Health
CB# 7411, 120 Rosenau Hall
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7411

BSPH, MSPH and Resident MHA:
Academic Coordinator: Yolonda N. Childs

Doctoral and Executive MHA:
Academic Coordinator: Kim Sieler

Assistant to Chair: Stephanie Forman
Looking for someone else?
MPH@UNC (MPH Online) Only:
Program Coordinator, John Sugg

Mailing Address
135 Dauer Drive
1101 McGavran-Greenberg Hall, CB #7411
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7411