Required PhD Application Materials (also includes MSPH to PhD)
- Completion of online Graduate School application. Start your application by creating an account and following the instructions. Applications for the next academic year are available in August. A current email address is a required field on the application since all correspondence is conducted by email. If you have problems with the online form, contact the Graduate School.
- Nonrefundable application fee. In some instances the application fee may be waived; please see the Graduate School’s Application Fee Waiver page if you have questions or need more information on eligibility.
- Transcripts (complete, not selected courses). One unofficial transcript from each university attended must be uploaded within the application. If offered admission, one paper official transcript for each university attended will be required. If you have questions or need more information about preparing transcripts, please see the Graduate School’s transcript information here.
- The email address of three recommenders is required within the application for electronic submission and delivery.
- Academic and/or professional
- Personal Statement
Upload a brief essay (up to 4 pages in length) that addresses the issues listed below. Use this statement to provide the Admissions Committee with detailed information relevant to your application that is not otherwise available.
- Why do you wish to study health policy and/or health services research?
- Please describe any previous research experience you have had.
- Which of our concentration areas is the closest match for your research approach and interests? Describe how the selected concentration focus will fit into your projected career plans. (Please see Plans for Graduate Study Page requirements below)
- Discuss the way in which your past education, research and/or work experience(s) will contribute to your proposed studies at UNC.
- Explain how your academic background, personal qualities, and/ or life experiences might: (1) contribute to health services/ health policy research and/ or (2) distinguish you from other applicants.
- Indicate faculty members in the Department who most closely match your interests. Be specific about the areas of overlap in interest.
In addition to the materials listed above, international applicants must submit the following:
- TOEFL or IELTS score (no more than 2 years old). UNC is institution #5816. For more information about these tests, see the Graduate School’s TOEFL and IELTS instruction page.