Minimum Credit Hours
Note: See application details page for more info.
Priority Deadline: December 12, 2023
Final Deadline: February 13, 2024
Dual Degree Options Available
Before applying, please see our “Which Degree is Right for you?” page to ensure your eligibility for your program of choice.
1. All UNC Gillings applications for graduate-level programs fall under the purview of the UNC Graduate School. Accordingly, you will apply to UNC Gillings via the Graduate School Application, and UNC Gillings programs will make admissions recommendations to the UNC Graduate School for final approval.
Once a recommendation is finalized, you will receive notice via email from the UNC Graduate School. Throughout the process, most of your questions can be answered by your program contact.
2. Faculty Interest(s)/mentor(s)
Not required. Skip this part of the application.
3. Applicant information, including North Carolina residency information.
4. Area(s) of interest
Select no more than two areas of interest.
5. Educational history
Please upload a copy of your most recent transcript(s), including your current term grades, if applicable. (If grades are not yet available, send them to the UNC Gillings program contact as soon as they become available.) Be sure the transcript reflects the name of the institution and any degrees you received.
We advise that you order two copies of your transcript(s) to be sent to you. If you are admitted and choose to enroll, UNC will require official transcript(s) showing degree(s) awarded.
6. Community standards
You will be asked about honor code, crime, academic sanction, military discharge, etc.
7. Upload your personal statement.
Please upload a two page (double spaced) statement addressing the following:
- How will this degree program at UNC-CH contribute to your projected career?
- What is your experience working in teams and what can you contribute to a team?
- How will your lived experiences and strengths contribute to a positive learning environment?
- Please provide any additional information that will help us to evaluate your application.
8. Upload your resume or CV.
9. Enter names of recommenders. UNC will then send them an email with instructions for submitting a letter on your behalf. We encourage references from professors or teachers (or teaching assistants) or work/research supervisors who have worked directly and closely with you and who can speak about you with specificity.
3 Recommendations Required (academic and/or professional; academic preferred)
10. Report test scores.
GRE scores are neither required nor typically recommended for applicants to the PhD Program.
International applicants must submit official TOEFL or IELTS standardized test scores. Code 5816 routes to UNC. TOEFL/IELTS scores must be no more than two years old.
11. Document submission (check legibility of uploads)
Applicants should preview all documents uploaded into the application system to ensure that all documents are legible for committee review.
12. Pay the Graduate School application fee.
13. Track your progress.
You will be able to track status through the Graduate School application. Once a decision is made, you will receive an email instructing login to the Graduate School application portal to see the decision letter.
II. Costs and Funding (Separate From The Admissions Process)
1. Check out our Costs and Funding page.
2. Note priority deadline to be eligible for UNC Graduate School scholarships and fellowships. Departments will decide which applicants to nominate. No additional application required.
3. Apply for FEDERAL financial aid by March 1 (please verify this date via FAFSA) via FAFSA. If you’ve been admitted and completed the FAFSA form by their deadline, the UNC Office of Scholarships and Student Aid will create a financial aid package for you.
4. Department funding:
- Our department contacts incoming students regarding funding opportunities.
- We consider all applicants for funding.
III. Application Review Process
1. SPH application review:
PLEASE NOTE: Residential candidates are required to travel to Chapel Hill for an in-person interview. Phone/Skype interviews may be arranged for applicants who are currently located out of the country.
- Department recommendation will be sent to the Graduate School for final approval.
UNC Gillings will not render a decision unless you have completed BOTH the SOPHAS and UNC Graduate School applications.
2. UNC Graduate School application review and final decision:
The UNC Graduate School reviews all admissions recommendations made by programs. Once final decisions have been made, the Graduate School will send you an email instructing login to the Graduate School application portal to see the decision letter.
3. NOTE: Financial aid is separate from the admissions process. For more information, please refer to our School’s Costs and Funding page and/or UNC-Chapel Hill’s Office of Scholarships and Student Aid (OSSA) website.
Prior Degree Required
Incoming students had a mean undergraduate GPA of 3.7
Letters of Recommendation Required
3 (recommend mix of academic and professional)
Department will contact selected applicants for virtual interviews.
Learn about opportunities to connect with faculty, staff, and current students virtually and in person.
During and After The Program
Click here to see a sample MSPH Plan of Study.
Director of Masters Programs
September 21, 2023 New research conducted by the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health and the Cleveland Clinic shows that ritonavir-boosted nirmatrelvir (Paxlovid) and molnupiravir (Lagevrio) substantially reduced COVID-19 hospitalization and death among high-risk patients, even against the most recent Omicron subvariants BQ.1.1 and XBB.1.5.