- For whom is the Doctoral Program in Health Leadership program designed?
- How many students are accepted each year?
- Must I have a degree in public health to apply?
- Must I have some experience in public health or other healthcare to apply?
- Is the DrPH program accredited?
- Where are the classes taught?
- Are any visits to Chapel Hill required?
- What kind of Internet connection must I have in order to participate?
- Is a dissertation required in the DrPH program?
- Are the GREs or any other entrance exams required?
- Don’t see an answer to your question?
The program is designed for working public health and other healthcare professionals in the U.S. or abroad with the potential and ambition to become senior leaders, if they are not already, and who are committed to improving the public’s health. Students must be in mid to senior level positions with at least five years of post-graduate experience and be employed full-time.
Must I have some experience in public health or other healthcare to apply?
Yes. You must have a minimum of at least five years of post-graduate experience in the health field, in a substantial, mid to senior level management or leadership position.
Is the DrPH program accredited?
There is no accreditation process for DrPH programs, or for most individual degree programs. The School of Public Health is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH) and the university is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
Where are the classes taught?
Weekly classes are taught via Internet video one evening a week. Three times a year, students come to campus or another location for a four to five day in-person session.
Are any visits to Chapel Hill required?
Yes. Students visit in August, January and May for 4-5 days each. We may opt to replace an on-campus visit with a visit outside NC or overseas one time during the two years of required coursework.
Is a dissertation required in the DrPH program?
Yes. Students begin planning their dissertation in the first year of their studies and spend most of the third year completing it. The goal is for most students complete their dissertations in three to four years, however, some take up to five years to complete their dissertations.
Are the GREs or any other entrance exams required?
No, the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is not required. However, international applicants must submit the following materials: TOEFL or IELTS score (no more than 2 years old). UNC is institution #5816
Office of Student Affairs
Contact your academic coordinator.
Department of Health Policy and Management
School of Public Health
CB# 7411, 120 Rosenau Hall
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7411