Helpful financial advice to consider prior to departure.
Research to see what forms of payment (cash, debit and credit cards, and traveler’s checks) are accepted in your destination country and any other countries you may be traveling through (do not carry too much cash at one time):
Alert your bank and credit card companies when and where you will be traveling
- Ask if they charge foreign transaction fees
- Ask if you’ll need a PIN to make purchases abroad. If so, how many digits does the PIN need to be.
Exchange some cash to your destination’s local currency
- Exchange money at a bank before you leave the U.S. or exchange in the airport prior to departure or when you arrive to have money for transportation, accommodations and food for the day of your arrival
- OANDA Currency Converter allows you to print out a wallet sized Traveler’s Cheat-sheet to take on your trip.
Find out about Arrival and Departure Taxes and Currency Restrictions
- Check on any arrival or departure taxes you may encounter
- Check on any restrictions on how much currency you can enter and exit with