- This event has passed.
REI Racial Equity Presentation
February 21 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
The Racial Equity Institute presents “A Groundwater Approach to Racial Equity”, sponsored by Durham County and the Durham Chamber of Commerce.
In the half-day Groundwater Approach workshop, trainers use data and stories from a variety of sources to demonstrate the ongoing and pervasive impact of race. This research-based presentation focuses on the following six points that are essential to understanding the realities of systemic racism as a predictor of outcomes in all institutions.
1. Racial inequity looks the same across systems.
2. Socio-economic difference does not explain the racial inequity.
3. Systems contribute significantly to disparities.
4. The systems-level disparities cannot be explained by a few ‘bad apples’ or ill-intentioned gatekeepers.
5. Poor outcomes are concentrated in certain geographic communities; usually poor communities and communities of color.
6. An analysis that includes race often draws starkly different conclusions than one that does not