- This event has passed.
Symposium in Honor of Dr. Michael D. Aitken
November 8 @ 1:15 pm - 5:30 pm
Join us for a symposium, reception and dinner in honor of Dr. Michael Aitken and his recent retirement after more than 30 years as a faculty member in the Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering (ESE) at UNC.
Dr. Aitken has had a long and distinguished career, one in which he has proven to be a superb researcher, excellent teacher and generous contributor to his professional community. Over the course of his years at UNC, he has served in many high profile positions, including Director of the Environmental Engineering program, Chair of the ESE Department, member of EPA’s Science Advisory Board and President of the Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP).
Along the way, Dr. Aitken has received numerous honors and awards, while positively impacting the lives of many students, staff and faculty. Please join us in celebrating his career and accomplishments!
- 1:15 p.m. Welcome and Introduction
- 1:30 p.m. Mark Sobsey, Ph.D., retired Kenan Distinguished Professor of Environmental Sciences and Engineering, UNC Gillings School
- 2 p.m. Anna Gorbushina, Ph.D.; Head, Department of “Materials and the Environment”, Federal Institute of Materials Research and Testing (BAM), Berlin; Professor of Earth Sciences, Freie Universität Berlin
- 2:30-3 p.m. Break
- 3 p.m. Domenico Grasso, Ph.D., Chancellor, University of Michigan-Dearborn
- 3:30 p.m. Greg Characklis, Ph.D., Philip C. Singer Distinguished Professor of Environmental Sciences and Engineering, UNC Gillings School
- 4-4:30 p.m. Break
- 4:30 p.m. Kathleen Gray, Ph.D., Director, Center for Public Engagement with Science, UNC Institute for the Environment
- 5 p.m. Jamie Bartram, Ph.D., former Director of The Water Institute at UNC
- 5:30 p.m. Closing remarks
- 6 p.m. Dinner reception opens at Carolina Inn – Chancellor’s Ballroom (dinner pre-registration required)
- 7 p.m. Dinner
12:30 p.m. Symposium Check-in and Registration
Blue Cross Blue Shield Auditorium, Michael Hooker Research Center, UNC Gillings School
1:15 p.m. Symposium Begins
5:30 p.m. Symposium Ends
6:00 p.m. Reception; 7:00 p.m. Dinner
Chancellor’s Ballroom, The Carolina Inn
Your registration fee includes admission to the reception and dinner (the symposium is free of charge).
Sponsor a student to attend the reception and dinner! Your gift to sponsor a student is fully tax-deductible.
Transportation and accommodation information for guests
Closest airport: Raleigh-Durham International (RDU)
The symposium will take place in 0001 MHRC (Michael Hooker Research Center) at the Gillings School, located on S. Columbia Street across from the Health Sciences Library. Due to the difficult nature of parking on campus on weekdays we encourage you to select a hotel within walking distance or ones that are serviced by a shuttle.
Dinner attendees may park for a fee at the Carolina Inn or at no cost after 5 p.m. in the N7 Lot (behind the Newman Catholic Student Center Parish) or the McCauley Deck (at the corner of McCauley and Pittsboro Streets). Please refer to the UNC campus parking map.
Metered street parking and deck parking are also available in the area, managed by the town of Chapel Hill. Please refer to the Chapel Hill parking guide.
Hotels within walking distance and serviced by Chapel Hill transit
AC Hotel Chapel Hill Downtown
The Franklin Hotel
Hotels serviced by Chapel Hill transit
Hampton Inn & Suites Chapel Hill-Carrboro/Downtown
Courtyard Chapel Hill
Hotels with available shuttles
Aloft Chapel Hill
Hyatt Place Chapel Hill/Southern Village
The Siena Hotel
Additional helpful information:
If you have any questions regarding the event, please contact Rhoda Cerny at email@example.com or (919) 966-1024.