CGBI: Child Care Program Job Aides
The Ten Steps for Breastfeeding-Friendly Child Care (BFCC), and related materials and training on their use, comprise the core intervention in the BFCC program. Based on our assessment of the centers, key informant interviews in the community, review of existing materials, and ongoing feedback from community stakeholders, we refined the materials using the following guiding principles:
- Easy-to-read Self Assessment
- Ease of use (color-coded according to target audience)
- Diverse, population-appropriate photographs
- Easily printable from PDF files
Materials are used as job aides that assist individuals in the performance of their jobs. Individuals can refer to the job aide, rather than memorize information. Materials support carrying out a procedure. This type of job aide may be especially useful in milk storage, where accuracy in carrying out the procedure is very important to maintain health and safety. Further, they provide continuity of information and instruction, particularly when there is high employee turnover and limited resources to provide continuous training. Job aides also answer questions, such as who, what, or where. An application of this type of job aide is the Breastfeeding: Making It Work booklet that provides information about many breastfeeding topics.
Materials in the child care program toolkit are divided into four categories.
1. Self-Assessment and Assessment Tools for Child Care Centers (blue border)
2. Educational and Reference Materials for Child Care Centers (purple border)
3. Educational Materials All Families (orange border)
4. Educational Materials for Breastfeeding Families (green border)
For more information about job aides, or supporting breastfeeding in Early Care and Education, contact Daina Huntley, at email@example.com or Jessica Bridgman, at firstname.lastname@example.org.