Penny Gordon-Larsen, PhD
Penny Gordon-Larsen in the Gillings News
- Olshan to serve as Gillings School interim associate dean for research
- At inaugural symposium, UNC experts seek to improve research on causes of obesity
- Regional variations in gut microbiota could contribute to varying health effects in China
- Gordon-Larsen named Carla Smith Chamblee Distinguished Professor
- The latest COVID-19 science — easily understood through a new dashboard
Honors and Awards
NIDDK Advisory Council
2019-2022, NIH, National institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
Chair, Kidney, Nutrition, Obesity and Diabetes Study Section
2016-2019, NIH, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
2015, The Obesity Society
Editor's Choice Reviewer Award
2010, 2005, Obesity
Eli Lilly Scientific Achievement Award
2010, The Obesity Society
Delta Omega Society
2005, UNC-Chapel Hill
Obesity as a Disease, Not a Behavior. Gordon-Larsen P, Heymsfield SB. (2018). Circulation, 137(15), 1543-1545.
Food availability/convenience and obesity. Penny Gordon-Larsen (2014). Advances in Nutrition, 5(6), 809-817.
Eighteen year weight trajectories and metabolic markers of diabetes in modernising China. Linda Adair, Penny Gordon-Larsen, Amy Herring, Annie Howard, Elizabeth Koehler, Elizabeth Mayer-Davis, Lauren Paynter, Barry Popkin, Amanda Thompson, Bing Zhang (2014). Diabetologia.
Accounting for Selectivity Bias and Correlation Across the Sequence From Elevated Blood Pressure to Hypertension Diagnosis and Treatment. P. Gordon-Larsen, S. M. Attard, A. G. Howard, B. M. Popkin, B. Zhang, S. Du, D. K. Guilkey Am J Hypertens, 31(1), 63-71.
Recent urbanization in China is correlated with a Westernized microbiome encoding increased virulence and antibiotic resistance genes. K. Winglee, A. G. Howard, W. Sha, R. Z. Gharaibeh, J. Liu, D. Jin, A. A. Fodor, P. Gordon-Larsen Microbiome, 5(1), 121.
BMI loci and longitudinal BMI from adolescence to young adulthood in an ethnically diverse cohort. M Graff, K North, A Richardson, K Young, A Mazul, H Highland, K Mohlke, L Lange, E Lange, K Mullan Harris, P Gordon-Larsen (2017). International journal of obesity (2005).
- Post-Doc, Nutritional Epidemiology, UNC-CH, 2000
- PhD, Human Biology, University of Pennsylvania, 1997
- BA, Anthropology & Psychology, Tulane University, 1989