Michael Hudgens, PhD
AboutDr. Michael Hudgens is a professor and chair of the Department of Biostatistics at UNC-Chapel Hill. He also serves as the director of the Biostatistics Core of the UNC Center for AIDS Research (CFAR). He has experience in collaborative research and statistical methodology development related to studies of infectious diseases.
Professor Hudgens has co-authored more than 300 peer-reviewed papers in statistical journals such as Biometrics, Biometrika, JASA and JRSS-B as well as biomedical journals such as the Lancet, Nature and New England Journal of Medicine. He currently serves as an associate editor for Biometrics. He is an elected fellow of the American Statistical Association and has taught graduate-level biostatistics courses at UNC for over 15 years.
Michael Hudgens in the Gillings News
- Hudgens to lead Gillings School’s Department of Biostatistics
- 4 Gillings faculty members honored with 2023 awards for mentorship, teaching, research and service
- UNC researchers to use $3 million grant to improve cervical cancer screening and treatment
- Findings from Kenya: Male circumcision reduces HPV infections
- Gillings researchers identify potential strategy for rapid scale-up of COVID-19 testing
Honors and Awards
Kutner Distinguished Alumni Award
2019, Emory Department of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics
Edward G. McGavran Award for Excellence in Teaching
2015, Gillings School of Global Public Health
2012, American Statistical Association
Introductory Survival Analysis (BIOS 680) | Syllabus
Casual Inference in Biomedical Research (BIOS 776) | Syllabus
Research ActivitiesSurvival Analysis, Causal Inference, Infectious Diseases, Epidemiology, Clinical Trials
Associate Editor, Biometrics
Randomization inference with general interference and censoring. WW Loh, MG Hudgens, JD Clemens, M Ali, ME Emch. (2020). Biometrics, 76(1), 235-245.
Downstream Effects of Upstream Causes. Saul, B.C., Hudgens, M.G. and Mallin, M.A. (2019). Journal of the American Statistical Association, 114(528), 1493–1504.
Average treatment effects in the presence of unknown interference. F Savje, PM Aronow, MG Hudgens (2021). Annals of Statistics, 181(4), 1193-1209.
- PhD, Biostatistics, Emory University, 2000
- MS, Mathematics, University of Florida, 1996
- BS, Mathematics, University of Florida, 1994