Chemistry and analytical core
The Chemistry and Analytical Core provides the infrastructure, instrumentation, and experienced personnel needed for analyses and assays that are critical in evaluating exposure to hazardous environmental chemicals and understanding the role of oxidative stress in determining health outcomes.
The Chemistry and Analytical Core supports the SRP research projects through analytical techniques and by synthesizing, purifying and characterizing chemicals, their metabolites and macromolecular adducts that are not available commercially or that can be cost-effectively prepared in-house in bulk quantities. The Core offers particular expertise in preparation of standards and internal standards labeled with stable isotopes (15N, 13C, 2H) which enable development of assays using mass spectrometric techniques for highly specific and highly sensitive identification and quantitation.
The specific aims of this Core follow closely the aims and accomplishments of the individual research projects, and thus evolve in response to research needs.
The Chemistry and Analytical Core aims to:
- provide advice and consultation on analytical methodology and chemical handling;
- develop analytical methodology, including gas chromatography and liquid chromatography, for detection and quantitation of parent compounds, metabolites and macromolecular adducts;
- provide service in carrying out routine assays for detection and measurement by quantitative spectroscopy and mass spectrometry of PAH, PAH metabolites, PCBs, oxidative damage, and macromolecular adducts. The Core has developed and validated assays for etheno adducts and oxidative damage, and these now can be carried out routinely;
- prepare novel and rare chemicals, including isotopically-labeled chemicals. Particular expertise has been developed in preparation of nucleobases and nucleosides, PAHs, PCB and PAH metabolites, and protein adducts; and,
- analyze and perform structural identification of unknown metabolites and adducts. The Core offers expertise in interpretation of spectral data in support of structural elucidation.