Water-testing for contamination goes portable
Download the PDF: Water-testing for contamination goes portable
This Innovation Lab was completed in 2010.
- Lab on-site
- Lab in a box
- Lab on a budget
- Lab-reliability and ease of use
he Results and Imp
- A simple, portable, low-cost compartmentalized plastic bag test (CBT) was developed for testing E. coli and hyrdogen sulfide.
- The results showed good concordance in detecting fecal bacteria in water.
- An international microbiological products company based in India has agreed to make and market the CBT as a self-contained kit.
- Social enterprise company, Aquagenx, was formed around the CBT research team.
Mark Sobsey, PhD, Kenan University Distinguished Professor of environmental sciences and engineering, UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health, led the efforts of this Gillings Innovation Lab. With the help of his global partners, he aimed to reverse the chilling number of deaths and illnesses across the world.